Mazda Mx-3: Future Classic?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Mazda Mx-3: Future Classic?

Post by Sleeper6 »

2RotorsNaDream wrote: What a biased, untrue statement. Look at the numbers again please. The SE-R Sentra, NX2000, Geo Storm, and CRX SI all outperformed the MX3 in its class at the time of its release. I do think its the best looking and sounding out of all its competitors though.
I can understand where having a true sports car can tilt your opinion... However if you look at these based on prices nowadays for us broke blokes the mx3 really is the best value. Trying to pick up a clean SE-R or SI honda immediatly raises the value over what you could pick up an mx3 for and still have cash left to play. Honestly I think thats the only reason these are still around, and anyone you ask that knows of them will pretty much tell you they were one of the most underrated cars of the 90s. Its one of those unfortunates that you have to own to truely appreciate.
Yes other cars will be more powerfull, and make you look like an idiot if you give em the nod, but I still love the go-cart appeal I feel every time I fly around in mine. And hey when I do lose, atleast I only paid a fraction of the price for mine :mrgreen:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thats why I like them...

My 70hp upgrade only cost me $1k :)

To get 70hp out of a stock honda? heh.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ryan wrote:
Well, remember, to get more power out of a Honda you just need some decals... :lol:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

2RotorsNaDream wrote:Do you seriously think that? An RX7 at that time ran 13.5 and a DE MX3 runs a mid 15, thats a huge difference.
I've got a timeslip for one doing a 14.6
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
2RotorsNaDream wrote:Do you seriously think that? An RX7 at that time ran 13.5 and a DE MX3 runs a mid 15, thats a huge difference.
I've got a timeslip for one doing a 14.6
Probably with plenty of work in it and great tires, and thats still a huge difference even with the best time I've ever seen out of a DE.

Dont get me wrong, I love MX3s. I've owned more than probably 98% of everyone on this website (5 MX3s, hopefully 6 soon) but I came to terms a long time ago that I'm going to get smoked by just about everything on the road, even with a ZE swap. Its one of the facts of life, I dont care though I'd still rather drive it than a Civic or Sentra Spec V or something.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Well, remember, to get more power out of a Honda you just need some decals... :lol:
:lol:

and yeah It's amazing what HP gains you can get out of an MX-3 without doing much.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

2RotorsNaDream wrote:Probably with plenty of work in it and great tires, and thats still a huge difference even with the best time I've ever seen out of a DE.
Nope, just a junkyard DE with intake an exhaust. I can't remember what he was running for rims and tires. Sucks this is all that's left of it, but he was a damned good driver. Sucked racing my ZE against him and loosing, lol, was so frustrating! Sadly that's all that's left of it, but this was a long time ago too.

These are also the times when Aaron The Hic was getting 13.8 on a stock ZE...I miss the old days...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:These are also the times when Aaron The Hic was getting 13.8 on a stock ZE...I miss the old days...
I hope to be able to do that!
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
ethand

Post by ethand »

I've often wondered the same question...
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Lol good luck guys. Anyways, its a interesting topic and i can see the "diehard" mx3 guys see it one way and the "realists" see it another. Guess we all see in the future, even tho deep down i think we all know that only a handful of ppl will still have the car
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

2RotorsNaDream wrote:
Inodoro Pereyra wrote: The MX-3 is CLEARLY superior to any other car in its category. If it wasn't so brutally underpowered , it would probably still be in the market.
What a biased, untrue statement. Look at the numbers again please. The SE-R Sentra, NX2000, Geo Storm, and CRX SI all outperformed the MX3 in its class at the time of its release. I do think its the best looking and sounding out of all its competitors though.
This post does make me curious as to your definition of "outperformed", would you mind siting your source(s)?

Thanks,
~MM92
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

MrMazda92 wrote:
2RotorsNaDream wrote:
Inodoro Pereyra wrote: The MX-3 is CLEARLY superior to any other car in its category. If it wasn't so brutally underpowered , it would probably still be in the market.
What a biased, untrue statement. Look at the numbers again please. The SE-R Sentra, NX2000, Geo Storm, and CRX SI all outperformed the MX3 in its class at the time of its release. I do think its the best looking and sounding out of all its competitors though.
This post does make me curious as to your definition of "outperformed", would you mind siting your source(s)?

Thanks,
~MM92
Google the old comparison articles. The MX was slower 0-60, ¼ mle, handling, braking, etc than most of its competitors. Thats not even including the RS model, which couldn't even be included in the comparisons. No shame in losing against those cars though, all were great bang for the buck cars in their day.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

2RotorsNaDream wrote:The MX was slower 0-60, ¼ mle, handling, braking, etc than most of its competitors.
0-60 I'm not surprised, all those even though equipped with 4cyl's were making more power than the k8. Surprised taht it would of been out handled with it's suspension and high-g ability and braking with 4-wheel disc.

I think I have that magazine somewhere at my parents place, maybe.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:These are also the times when Aaron The Hic was getting 13.8 on a stock ZE...I miss the old days...
I hope to be able to do that!
To do that you gotta learn to rev it to 8k Grasshopper. :D (private joke)

Performance a side, I loved the look of the MX-3 first time I saw one.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Actually it was my wife who first wanted the MX-3. We were looking for a used car and she saw it and loved it. As soon as I drove it I loved it and have been driving one ever since...over 8 years now.

I know I will own my MX-3 until it dies. I will probably buy a new car next year, but I will always have my SE to play with and work on and spend ridiculous amounts of money on. I love it. I don't care if the rest of the world does.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”