Brakes = electronics cutting out!? :|

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
NateBaden
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Brakes = electronics cutting out!? :|

Post by NateBaden »

Today after a drive down to pick n pull, on the way home, like 2 minutes away, i had to stop for a red light, but when i hit the breaks all the electronics in car shut off for literally a split second, my speedometer went down to zero my tach did the same, my check engine light shut off for that split second (the check engine is do to the cam angle sensor that is bad) and my radio also shut off, i am gonna look for any shorts or loose wiring, but i just wanted to post this in case its something serious

thanks guys
chrome730

Re: Brakes = electronics cutting out!? :|

Post by chrome730 »

ground problem is what it sounds like does it happen all the time when u press the brakes? i know some cars have problems with the electrical when the alternator goes bad. check that. For those who are gonna slam me for sayin the alt. it happened in my nissan.
It only takes a single voice to start a revolution
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

yea it happens after a certain point in the pressure i am putting on the pedal
like the engine doesnt react weird at all, it still runs like nothings happening, its just worrying me lol

i will check the alt
but i kinda dont think it would be that cuz mine seems to be working fine
i might turn my idle up a bit, cuz after i have the brakes held down and i am at a complete stop nothing happens, when i start driving, nothing happens
but once i have to hit the brakes again it does the same thing, i dont have my idle control wire connected, it has never done this to me before though

anyways thanks for the help, i'll check it out tomorrow
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i'm going to say alternator because that same thing happened to me, but MUCH worse all of the sudden, my car stalled even if i touched my brakes even a little, so i had to get it to pick n pull by gearing down and using my e-brake to get a new alternator.
so i'm going to say its alternator
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

oh crap... okay well what kind of tools should i bring? i am going to get my friend to drive me to pick n pull tomorrow, and around how much did it cost you?
chrome730

Post by chrome730 »

metric open ended wrenches and wd40 or some metric sockets. i never got one from the pick and pull i just purchased a new one from autozone cause they have a lifetime warranty and no i dont work for autozone im a best buy employee. lol and also ur not flooring your brakes are you?
It only takes a single voice to start a revolution
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

no i'm just slowly pressing them down to stop lol

but on yellowhead i did have to slam on them cuz some a--hole in a jeep just cut me off going 100km/h
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I'd wait before changing the alternator. These don't seem like failing alternator symptoms to me. No charge light... No dimming lights that brighten with increased engine speed...

I'd be looking at loose/corroded connections first.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

yea i checked for loose cables, but it was too dark to see corrosion so i'll do that tomorrow morning
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

well, it turned out to be a slightly lose connector on the alternator, i just charged the battery for a bit, and took it for a few laps around clareview and the random loss of electronics is no longer happening, but thanks for the info guys, i really appreciate it
DeadMaker
antispam: No

Post by DeadMaker »

Today after a drive down to pick n pull, on the way home, like 2 minutes away, i had to stop for a red light, but when i hit the breaks all the electronics in car shut off for literally a split second, my speedometer went down to zero my tach did the same, my check engine light shut off for that split second (the check engine is do to the cam angle sensor that is bad) and my radio also shut off, i am gonna look for any shorts or loose wiring, but i just wanted to post this in case its something serious

Maybe it was a high ufo activity in the area!! :lol:
Just joking.
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

In an old Nissan I once had, I had a wire in the dash whcih wore through the insulation and was grounding on the frame of the dash. Every time I pressed the brake pedal it would arc and knock out all my lights and radio and everything. Eventually the short melted my speedometer and I had to take the whole dash apart which is when I identified the problem but I couldn't figure it out for weeks.

I would say you have an electrical short in your pedal assembly area.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

chrome730 wrote:no i dont work for autozone im a best buy employee. lol
Well well well, Best buy eh? I just had a Viper alarm installed and to keep this post short the installer removed my firewall grommet and the power wire to the horn is rubbing against the edge of the metal. A competent installer at Best Buy is going to rip out the entire system and do it right. Yea Shawn of Best Buy.

With the age of our cars electrical problems are to be expected. Corrosion is a real current killer.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

since i have a long weekend i might just spend a night cleaning connections and checking for worn wires.
after seeing if i got the job at pick n pull hahah
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Dude if you get hired at Pick n Pull we need to talk.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”