Front end clunk when steering & and hitting a bump

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
valentiner
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Front end clunk when steering & and hitting a bump

Post by valentiner »

Recently had similar symptoms on my '90 Geo Storm. Turned out my NOS CV's failed almost immediately (ripped/torn boots) and was getting the clunking when making narrow turns, either side, they both failed approx same time. I had replaced EVERYTHING but the smaller/front control arm bushings, but they did not seem loose. For longest time i didn't even get my head around behind the steering knuckles to check my boots because they were FRIGIN NEW! But indeed, the used set of CV's i had sitting around solved my clunking...
'93 MX-3 GS SE w/236k miles, now 260k.
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Already fixed the problems I put new upper strut bearings and and strut mounts and problem fixed. thanks anyway
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

bbunkerc397 wrote:Already fixed the problems I put new upper strut bearings and and strut mounts and problem fixed. thanks anyway
I was going to double suggest checking the strut mount, I just fixed this exact issue on the '98 Toyota Camry my girlfriend drives. Clunking while turning, especially when it's cold out; I popped the hood and bounced her up and down a few times, saw a 1/8" gap between the right front mount and it's strut, that bounced up and down with the car. 1/2 a turn tighter, problem solved. ;)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”