Paint coming next spring/summer, all opinions appreciated!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Paint coming next spring/summer, all opinions appreciated!

Post by MrMazda92 »

Here's where I'm at now:

The clearcoat has gone downhill from the time this was taken, although that nasty dent in the left QP has been replaced by 2 much smaller dents caused by my impatient hands and a ball-peen hammer.

Body work and a paint job are definitely in the car's near future. The car also has minor key marks on the passenger side, and little dings in a few other places. The passenger door has a basketball sized dent that would be very difficult to remove, as the depth varies greatly. I don't want to imagine how it got there... I picked up a raspberry door in near mint condition from a seller here, and will be swapping it out a few days before painting her.

My main concerns are the body/prep work, and deciding which color to go with.

I have and or will soon remove all dents that are fixable, and the small dings will likely call for body filler.

Now, back to business.

I'll be avoiding yellow, orange, white, pink, purple, and anything 2-tone like the plague.

Colors I like: Greens, Blacks, Reds, Blues, Grays.

I have considered keeping the stock red as to avoid repainting the entire car. I believe it would be a great deal simpler to repaint the exterior, and touch up other places such as door jams, engine bay, trunk, etc.

The only other red I've really considered would be a "flat" red, which would bring unique to a whole new extreme. Here is an example of a "flat" red:

On to green, I've considered a "candy" green, as well as BMW Sage Green(If I'm not mistaken):

Do what I did, pretend it's not a Honda. It helps, trust me...

Black/Grey: If I go this route, it will almost certainly be a "gunmetal" ish color.

Examples:

Respect to Bolverk, I love this color. I'm thinking a bit darker for mine though, this is my top choice so far.

One more,

Blue:

This one's a little loud for my tastes, I'm thinking less metallic if that makes any sense.

Any and all opinions are welcome!!! I intend to do this once, and be happy with the result for a decade or more.

Thanks!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Paint coming next spring/summer, all opinions appreciate

Post by Ryan »

You should consider the 350Z Daytona blue. I think its the sexiest...

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ue#p545222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ah! I saw that one, it was in the dare to be different thread! I believe that's Vanished's car, right? I do like that blue a lot, it's bright enough to catch your eye, but not enough to blind it! :)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

I dont know if you checked it out yet, but summitracing has complete paints systems around $300 for paint clear and primer that Ive been looking at. And they have some pretty decent colors as well :wink:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-UP316/?rtype=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^thats what im thinking for mine
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Red looks pretty good and so do other colors
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Helton10

Post by Helton10 »

I Like the blue idea..its a good color and would make a good looking car
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Sleeper, I hadn't checked it out yet; thanks for the link! I'll take a peek tomorrow after I get home :)

mitmaks, what do you think about that flat red? I'm having a hard time picturing it, but I think it could look pretty good... Anybody here have sufficient photoshop skill to attempt an example?

Helton10, blue is growing on me more than I thought it would. That 350z blue caught my eye very quickly... I'm still undecided though.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

there's a really nice mx on here somewhere with a peach coloured paint.... looks really nice! (actually could have been on uk-mx3.com) ?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

That doesn't fit my particular taste for an Mx3, although there are a few cars it looks amazing on!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

PINK! YOU HAVE TO PAINT IT PINK!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, I'm not a painter, but flat red would look to me as just normal red with faded clearcoat... :shrug:

You know I want to paint mine orange, so, if you don't like peach, it's safe to say we have different tastes...
Anyways, I would go to a paint store, and look at my options. PPG has lots of colors (that I will go check up eventually) to choose from, and, for what I gather, is good quality paint. Or, if you want custom colors, you can take a look at the House of Kolor website: http://www.houseofkolor.com/. Click on the "digital color shapes", and pick your poison...
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:PINK! YOU HAVE TO PAINT IT PINK!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, I'm not a painter, but flat red would look to me as just normal red with faded clearcoat... :shrug:

You know I want to paint mine orange, so, if you don't like peach, it's safe to say we have different tastes...
Anyways, I would go to a paint store, and look at my options. PPG has lots of colors (that I will go check up eventually) to choose from, and, for what I gather, is good quality paint. Or, if you want custom colors, you can take a look at the House of Kolor website: http://www.houseofkolor.com/. Click on the "digital color shapes", and pick your poison...

LMAO.... :lol: PINK.... I would consider painting a car pink.... HOT pink, at that... :D
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

tripleMX-3chicMS wrote:

LMAO.... :lol: PINK.... I would consider painting a car pink.... HOT pink, at that... :D
Oh, sh....! And I had to go give you ideas...! :lol:

Anyways, there was a member here, not so long ago, with a pink MX-3. I don't remember who he was, but his car looked surprisingly good, to be painted on the color I hate the most... :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Haha, pink has it's application. Just not on MY car XD

My girlfriend's got her heart set on a raspberry SE someday, I told her she has to be willing to at least learn to drive a 5 speed, properly clean the car inside and out, and I'll do everything possible to keep it running. :P

I had worried about the faded look, it would almost require another color to offset the dull red, like the car in my example is.

I'm thinking long and hard about the 350z Blue, but I would still turn myself inside out for the perfect green. :/

I'll take a look at that site too, thanks!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

i like Impluse Blue (Stock GTO) or the Lamborghini candy apple blue paint code "002" Euro Paint
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3
fillpereira

Post by fillpereira »

I dont think you can go wrong with white or a pearl white