High output Alternator

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
CarolinaCartel

High output Alternator

Post by CarolinaCartel »

Do anyone know of a company thats make a high output alternator for a Mx-3 ? Or is there another car alternator that would work on it? I'm looking for one that will do 200 amps.
1993 Mx-3 Gs
09 Setup
Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P80MP w/CD-IB100II & 60 gb Ipod
Speaker: 2 pr MB Quart ESA216 6.5" COMPONENT
Subs: 2 Sundown 15" Nightshades
Highs amp: Sundown SAX-125.2
Sub amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D
Electrical: All 1/0 KnuKonceptz Wire Power/Ground, Big 3, 8Ga Speaker Wire, KnuKonceptz Karma RCA's
Dampening: 120sqft 80Mil Thick Sound Destroyer Mat
Goal: 150 DB 149.9 Street Bass
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: High output Alternator

Post by umcamara »

The Millenia alternator has a higher output, not sure how high. There's a write-up on it in the FAQ's. You can also have your alternator core wound tighter at an alternator shop, for higher output.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK, any auto electric place can rebuild your alt and bump up the output amps for no more than $160. However if your looking for a high output alt then your looking at a real drain on your HP. Don't people usually add an extra battery to compensate for high draw components like a stereo?
Here's a bit of discussion on this matter. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... alternator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
CarolinaCartel

Post by CarolinaCartel »

Thanks for the input guys. But having a stock alternator re wound doesn't really do much good. They run alot hotter then they are suppose to and that make them less depenpable. Besides they don't make very good output at idle. I have the battery power to keep my stereo playing but I need a higher output alternator . Something that can do atless 100 amps at 500-600 rpms. Will one off a 2.5L motor work on a 1.8L motor?
1993 Mx-3 Gs
09 Setup
Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P80MP w/CD-IB100II & 60 gb Ipod
Speaker: 2 pr MB Quart ESA216 6.5" COMPONENT
Subs: 2 Sundown 15" Nightshades
Highs amp: Sundown SAX-125.2
Sub amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D
Electrical: All 1/0 KnuKonceptz Wire Power/Ground, Big 3, 8Ga Speaker Wire, KnuKonceptz Karma RCA's
Dampening: 120sqft 80Mil Thick Sound Destroyer Mat
Goal: 150 DB 149.9 Street Bass
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have a Millenia alternator (110A I believe) with the wire harness and the bracket needed to install it. I bought it from Mike (Nd4SpdSE) but never installed it.

You can have it all for $100 plus shipping.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's a few here with high-output alternators that have had the stock ones rewound upto and beyond 200amps with no reported problems. Indeed the Millenia is 110amp in the earlier models and was downgraded to 90amps later on, so if you find one, be aware of which is what, but it is stamped right on the alternator what the output is...but that's the highest you can get in stock Mazda form. If you need more powr and your car doesn't have A/C, there's always the ability to put in a second one...

In my truck I've upgraded to a a 165amp Marine alternator, its built using standard GM parts but happens to have the same mounting points at my truck's factory points except that the mounting point for adjusting the tension isn't far enough and requires an extended bracket, but simple to make. I never looked to see if they all use the same type of mount or if there's a few standards to choose from, but it just may be possible...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”