Primer Question

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
kudkudniyog

Primer Question

Post by kudkudniyog »

Good Day!!! I am an amateur that is getting ready to paint my car. I have bought BG900 primer at Advance Auto Parts and applied 3 coats of it after prep work. I waited 24 hours to make sure that the primer is dry before dry sanding it. After dry sanding it, I was getting ready to apply the sealer so I can start spraying the color. I am painting my car under a tent in our backyard and before I can start painting suddenly it started raining. So I went inside the house to wait for the rain to pass, however, the wind started blowing and my tent fell over. Needless to say that the primed car got soaked.

My question is, how should I go forward from here? The car looked like the primer absorbed water. Should I just let it dry under the sun? If so, how long?

It is lacquer primer.

Please advice. TY
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Primer Question

Post by Dragon1212 »

The primer was dry at Maaco In calgary we get laquer primer cars rained on all the time it should be fine but look at the stuff you bought because i believe we get it from sherman-williams I will ask my Dad... (Painter there)

I'll still ask but when we prime cars with our laquer we don't worry about it we let it dry then degrease and paint. Can you post a picture of the primers soaking up water?
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

Okay so I got a hold of my Father. he say's that It doesn't matter that it got wet, Just redo the Final sand so that the primer's pores are not full of water. Then paint the car.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Why are you priming your car in first place. Are you doing any bodywork, fixing dents/dings, scratches? You do not need to use primer unless you did some bodywork on the panel. Factory paint can be abraded and painted over without having to primer it. Which sandpaper grit are you using?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
kudkudniyog

Post by kudkudniyog »

Thanks for you replies.

Yes, I did bodywork in different places due to rust and dents. The primer looks like it had water stains on it. I knew that it was water stains because when I tried to wipe it with a damp cloth, it followed the streaks from the cloth. Anyway I already sanded it and hoping to apply sealer, color, and clear this weekend. I used 320 grit sandpaper.

Thanks for all your help.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

You're better off using 2 part (2K) sealer to seal out any moisture/bleed-through. Also I would wet sand primer with 400 grit before sealing it. Post some pics if you can
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

mitmaks wrote:You're better off using 2 part (2K) sealer to seal out any moisture/bleed-through. Also I would wet sand primer with 400 grit before sealing it. Post some pics if you can

Agree with the 400 Grit... we only wet sand runs after if we need to but if your good at painting you should be fine with dry. but if you want it to look good DEFINATELY do not paint it at 320 Grit sanding. Thats what we do large buisness trucks and vans with. Doesn't nearly look as good.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Small point here but a lot of paints today are not compatible with lacquer primer. The paint could wrinkle the primer. Isn't two part primer recommended now?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Daninski wrote:Small point here but a lot of paints today are not compatible with lacquer primer. The paint could wrinkle the primer. Isn't two part primer recommended now?
Personally I paint everything 2K and that's what I recommend. However not everyone can afford a quality paint so they buy cheap stuff off the shelf. They need to understand that lacquer just won't last as long as quality urethane paint job. There is timeframe that you must coat over lacquer or it will lift, just like with any other paint you need to follow instructions. Your local paint store will have Product Data Sheet. It will have all the information for the product that you buy, how many coats to apply, what size gun, air/temp, etc.
kudkudniyog

Post by kudkudniyog »

Hello guys, I haven't started painting my MX yet although I already got the sealer, color, & clear last weekend. I told the paint shop guy that the car is already primered with lacquer. I expressed my concerns about the compatibility of the lacquer with other paint so he gave me a 2 part sealer to spray over the lacquer. Hope everything goes well.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

kudkudniyog wrote:Hello guys, I haven't started painting my MX yet although I already got the sealer, color, & clear last weekend. I told the paint shop guy that the car is already primered with lacquer. I expressed my concerns about the compatibility of the lacquer with other paint so he gave me a 2 part sealer to spray over the lacquer. Hope everything goes well.
sounds good. Let me know how that goes, if you got any questions I will walk you through it.

Return to “Appearance”