8 Lug Rims 4 Lug car

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: 8 Lug Rims 4 Lug car

Post by Dragon1212 »

I Was asking if i could use them till i get new ones for my 15" 5 spoke rims
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Dragon1212 wrote:I Was asking if i could use them till i get new ones for my 15" 5 spoke rims
If the bolt pattern is 4 x 100(same as you have now), then yes.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Dragon1212 wrote:Um guys I went to pick a part ad found 4 tires with better tread than my current ones but when I got home I found out they were 14" not 15" I have all four and all have honeycomb rims if i put them on my car which currently has 15" tires does it affect anything?
I could be wrong but I'm guessing when you get to the tire place they are going to say that the tires won't fit on those rims... :roll:
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

Mooneggs wrote:
Dragon1212 wrote:Um guys I went to pick a part ad found 4 tires with better tread than my current ones but when I got home I found out they were 14" not 15" I have all four and all have honeycomb rims if i put them on my car which currently has 15" tires does it affect anything?
I could be wrong but I'm guessing when you get to the tire place they are going to say that the tires won't fit on those rims... :roll:
sounds to me like hes saying the new tires came with 14" honeycomb rims and hes wondering if he will have any problems. putting smaller tires/rims on the car wont really affect anything other then your speedometer. im running 14's with smaller tires then stock on my gs and ive had no problems in a year and a half. speedo reads about 6% faster then im actually going if you consider that a problem...
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Here are the tire and wheel basics in a nutshell.

The two main considerations as to whether a tire/wheel combination will work for a given car are overal diameter and physical fitment.

Overall Diameter is a combination of wheel size and tire size. A 14" wheel requires a 14" tire. A 15" wheel requires a 15" tire and so on. However, a 14" wheel/tire combination can be made to have the same overall diameter as a 15" combination by the manipulation of the tire size. For example...my 07' Mazda 3 has a stock 17" wheel and 205/50/17 tires. However, for winter I prefer to have a slightly softer ride so I use 16" steel wheels with 195/60/16 tires. These wheels are almost identical in diameter but my winters have a taller profile which makes them a little more comfy. It is not recommended to use a combination which is more that 5% larger or smaller than your stock tire size mainly because the size of the tire will affect the reading on your speedometer.

Physical Fitment has a few factors. First is bolt pattern. Second is Width. Not a big issue. You can go up to 7" wide as long as the Offset is correct. Offset is the distance from the center line of the wheel to the mounting surface. Our stock wheels have an offset of +45mm. In general as the offset gets closer to zero, the wheel moves farther out. So if you want to use a wide wheel you may need something with an offset in the 35-40mm range to increase the clearance between the wheel and the strut.

So having said all that...if you found a set of wheels at the junk yard and they're 14's, as long as they have the right bolt pattern and they are not way smaller or larger you can use them. Offset is not really a huge consideration until you start talking about more exotic wheels with big lips or that are really wide so don't worry about that.

The MX-3 stock tires are 205/55/15 on the GS and 185/65/14 on the RS...about 1.7% smaller.

Compatible 15" tires are...
215/50/15...-1.7%
215/55/15...+1.8%
205/50/15...-3.3%
205/60/15...+3.3%
195/55/15...-1.8%
195/60/15...+1.4%
195/65/15...+4.5%

Compatible 14" tires are...
185/60/14...-3.1%
185/70/14...+3.0%
175/70/14...+0.8%
195/60/14...-1.0%

1010tire.com has a very handy tire size calculator for comparing tire sizes. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalcul ... ion=submit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's generally not a good idea to go more than one tread width up or down...i.e. 225mm wide tire on a rim which had a 205mm tire stock as it tends to deform the carcass of the tire.

So I hope that helps. Now there will be a bunch of people picking apart everything I wrote and tossing in a bunch of irrelevant details. This is just the basics.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I now understand some of your questions. I know you're young and have lots to learn. Mistakes are the best way to do so.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:I now understand some of your questions. I know you're young and have lots to learn. Mistakes are the best way to do so.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

Yes they have rims with them they are complete wheels just 14" they came off a 94 RS I have a 94 GS. Just wondering what the effects would be. Can't really afford tickets. So far I've gathered that the speedo might read Higher which is fine. Thanks for the input. They are 1" smaller when I stand them up so that should be fine.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

They should be fine. I noticed when I put my old 14's on my GS that there was a small rubbing on the passenger's side wheel but that was likely because ith was not the stock wheel.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I believe stock overall diameters are the SAME.

Makes sense, eh? I'm too lazy to punch them into a calculator though.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Ryan wrote:I believe stock overall diameters are the SAME.

wytbishop wrote:The MX-3 stock tires are 205/55/15 on the GS and 185/65/14 on the RS...about 1.7% smaller.

Seriously...are you even reading my posts???
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

wytbishop wrote:
Ryan wrote:I believe stock overall diameters are the SAME.

wytbishop wrote:The MX-3 stock tires are 205/55/15 on the GS and 185/65/14 on the RS...about 1.7% smaller.

Seriously...are you even reading my posts???
Heh, I saw that coming. :P
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Apparently not :lol:

You'd think with the time I'm killing, I'd take the time... my apologies.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”