POOR DYNO RUN 2.5 MX3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
eunosklde
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

POOR DYNO RUN 2.5 MX3

Post by eunosklde »

Just did a dyno run today,Didn't come out to happy only got 97.2 kw at the wheels 130whp.Its a 92 mx3 ob1 with a jdm klze/d longneck high comp but has 101 heads.I know you guys will tell us its the wrong ecu vaf combo but Im running stock k8 ecu and kl02 vaf,ive tryed running a aus spec mx6 2.5 ecu and kl02 it revved slow and even less power.tryed running k8 ecu and je50 ran real rich and poor.The car feels and runs sweet and the mech said a/f fuel curve is good.thu the the car maxed 97kw at 6700.Im gonna try running a JE50 and JDM ecu,either a KL31/KL36.Witch of the two ecu's will ran best on longneck neck manifold.
wytbishop

Re: POOR DYNO RUN 2.5 MX3

Post by wytbishop »

Does it feel like it has lost power or has it always felt the same? Do you have any previous dyno sheets which show a hgiher number?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but KL101 heads have oval intake ports. Does you intake manifold match your heads in terms of port shape? I don't think it would make a huge difference but it might be something.

Intake and exhaust are the biggest bolt on contributors to power. What are you using for exhaust? The stock MX-3 exhaust is very restrictive for the 2.5L engine. Going to 2.25" or 2.5" will really make a huge difference in power. If you've already upgraded the exhaust it could be something causing the ECU to pull timing.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Thanx for the tips wytbishop,Didn't pull off the manifold to see if its got oval or squre intakes.Yeh im still running the stock headers and exhuest.Just got a k&n pod airfilter and xforce cannon.The importer said he got it from japen he said its a klze millinea moter block numbers 814***.Thu i know that all the millinea klze's have curveneck manifols not longneck squre runners like myn.As for power the car hasent felt better.Not realy keen going all out on a stand alone or megasquert ecu's.If it where a 170 klde engine it shoud of run better with the mx6 ecu and kl02 vaf right?Will a KL36 ecu give us 10 to 15 kw.Im suprised the k8 ecu runs so smouth on a KL moter.Just makes thing's harder when you dont end up getting a true KL31 KLZE and end up with KL hybrids like myn.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If the A/F ratios are correct then the ECU and VAF are doing their jobs more or less. A better combination might help a bit but not much. Basically VAF says X amount of air is going in, ECU is injecting the correct amount of fuel for that mass of air, so there's not much more you can do but let more air in and get the exhaust out faster.

If it's not a ZE...if it is actually a DE with round intake runners and heads, and you made about 130whp on the dyno I'd say that's about right. Opening up the exhaust to 2.25" will improve things, but that engine will never make 180whp. You need ZE compression and KL31 cams for that.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Im thinking of doin a compression test and if it dont't get 190 to 220 il know for sure its not the klze.
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Hey guys thanx for all your help.Found out the engine i got in my mx3 is actully a KLDE KL-G4 from a mazda 626 98-2002 year.Pitty it an't a KLZE but at least its bit stronger internaly then other KLDE's and KLZE's.One last question if you guys can tell us what ecu do KLDE-G4 626 come with.Dont think i shoud bother trying KL31/36 ecu as there made to run KLZE's.Thanx again..
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Stronger internally?? I thought the KLG4's had a cast crank to ruduce rotating mass, whereas all the other KL's have forged cranks. I could be wrong tho
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Pritchett wrote:Stronger internally?? I thought the KLG4's had a cast crank to ruduce rotating mass, whereas all the other KL's have forged cranks. I could be wrong tho
They actually weight almost the same, the KLG4 crank is a TAD lighter, but not enough to make it a better choice or gain any power. The KLG4 has solid lifters and a few other gadgets that make it abit better then a KLDE, but still slower then a KLZE, however, its still a good alternative compared to a K8 and it can be built to be quite torquey and can handle boost well

The ecu you want to run relates to what intake manifold you are running.. If you are using a DE manifold use a DE VAF/ECU if you are using a Straight neck IM or Curve neck IM use a KL31/35 and JE50 or a Probinator chipped ecu
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

thanx solo ryder,il give the jap ecu a go.Il keep you up to date once its all done.thanx agian
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Thats not what I meant..I was stating cast is weaker then forged, however I doubt many of these motors cranks ever go
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
CLPCLD

Post by CLPCLD »

Actually, the split on the crankshaft is in 96. Anything before is about 43lbs and steel. The mid96 up is about 37lbs and cast iron. The only other exception is a true ZE crank, which actually is marginally lighter than the other 93-96 steel crank, but i don't even remember it being more than a few ounces. This is both what Mazda will tell you as well as my personal experience stripping 20 or so bad KLs (including g4s, early and late production des, and zes)
Silver 1997 Ford Probe GTS - 176whp de
Crystal Blue 1993 Mazda MX-6 LS
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

97KW is good for a stock exhaust and using the wrong ECU IMO. You are making about the same power at the wheels as the old engine 1.8L would have made at the crank.

Throw headers on and a 2.25 exhaust to complete the system and I think you might be looking at 110KW.

Does it feel fast though? Because that's what counts, numbers are just numbers, if you're destroying heaps of other cars then don't worry much :P
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Just got in a KL31 ecu.Im gonna put it in on the weekend and run it with a JE50 il let you boys know how i go.Wish us luck
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Just did the KL31 JE50 swap.The mazda goes alot harder now and smother.Il be putting the mx3 on the dyno in the weeks comeing.Il let yous no how it goes.Hope to get at least 115 kw
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

What seems to be the problem? The Klde on its best day is a 164bhp engine, so if you factor in the 20% drivetrain loss, you are right in the range that you should be for a stock Klde engine.

115kw? You expect to make 155whp off a 164bhp engine with from what I've seen very little mods? If you do that please let us all know how you got around the 20% drivetrain loss.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”