!!New to MX3 turbo setup questions and help IDing this turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
holsetv6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

!!New to MX3 turbo setup questions and help IDing this turbo

Post by holsetv6 »

Hey I have a 93 mx3 gs with 212k miles runs great!
I want to turbocharge it and have collected these parts so far.

My questions are-
what kind of turbo do I have? all i know is it has 6k miles and its a holset turbo from a truck
will the sandwich plate work for the k8 motor?
what size oil lines should I use?
and the stupid question the noobs ask how much power will i make? hahaha jk joke

Image :P
h3xt0r

Re: !!New to MX3 turbo setup questions and help IDing this t

Post by h3xt0r »

My suggestion would be do -a lot- more reading and research into turbos before trying to do anything else. Just a suggestion. ;)
-H3xT0r
kateCapshaw wrote:The moment somebody says to me, "This is very risky," is the moment it becomes attractive to me.
holsetv6

Post by holsetv6 »

I have installed turbo kits on 4 of my cars in the past. I thnk im ready just new to mazdas
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

just do alot more reading!
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

If you don't even know what turbo you have, you clearly haven't bothered to even think of sizing it to the motor... so you'll have a very useless turbo. Spool at 6k, anyone?

If its from a truck, or any decent truck, its designed for a 6.0+ L V8, to build boost around 2kish. You've got less than 1/3 that displacement, so hello to boost at 6k.

Any ideas for engine management?

Research on here for oil line sizes, although its generally specific to the turbo. Egay turbos want tiny lines.

I find it hard to believe you've turbo'd a vehicle before, at least reliably, or effectively.

Any idea for manifold?

You don't have any piping yet.

I know very little about turbo's, but I suggest you prepare yourself for our turbocharged members to give you an internet-smack-upside-the-head.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

a larger holset thats for sure.
possibly an hx35 or larger, best bet would be to remove the compressor and turbine housings and measure the wheels.

THe turbine housing looks small compared to what i have seen on holsets, possibly a 9cm2 or a 12cm2 housing, spool will be late on a 1.8v6.
I
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I am guessing the turbo's you've installed in the past were bolt on kits.
I have an issue with this question:
holsetv6 wrote:will the sandwich plate work for the k8 motor?
ummm.. you know that a turbo does not connect directly to an engine right?
Keep in mind that some of the WG's on these holset truck turbos are either electronic or are set to 20+ psi. That'll blow your K8 right through your hood. You've picked up a turbo that works well 1-2 bar range. You've got an engine that will not take more than half a bar.

face palm to you sir.
h3xt0r

Post by h3xt0r »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:face palm to you sir.
I lol'd....Freaking hard.
-H3xT0r
kateCapshaw wrote:The moment somebody says to me, "This is very risky," is the moment it becomes attractive to me.
holsetv6

Post by holsetv6 »

thanks nos your right its 9cm i got it figured out. I think it should be ok I want a late spool with hard punch. Still not sure if this will provide that for the k8 motor though..

and the sandwich plate does connect directly to the engine? what that guy must have never touched an engine lol you put your face to ur palm hahah noobs go to the general forum your not turbo worthy hahaha
only noobs use internal wastegates bro so have fun with ur dsm turbos haha
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

holsetv6 wrote:and the sandwich plate does connect directly to the engine? what that guy must have never touched an engine lol you put your face to ur palm hahah noobs go to the general forum your not turbo worthy hahaha
only noobs use internal wastegates bro so have fun with ur dsm turbos haha
odd, I'm not really sure what you said... english must not be your forte. There is nothing wrong with integral wg's either. It seems as though you have one yourself. Trashing someone for picking out the correct turbo when you did not makes you seem a little dim.

I'd put my stock block b6 against your k8 when it's all said and done.

I stand by my original face palm!
holsetv6

Post by holsetv6 »

lol well sandwich plates still attach directly to the motor.. but how much hp do you make? im going all out with mine maybe we can have a dyno war. gimmie a month or so to get this finished.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

ohh.. you mean a turbo manifold.

Typically, a sandwidch place is in between a turbo and the mani. It allows one bolt pattern to mate up with another.
h3xt0r

Post by h3xt0r »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:ohh.. you mean a turbo manifold.

Typically, a sandwidch place is in between a turbo and the mani. It allows one bolt pattern to mate up with another.
That is what a Sandwich plate is...

@Holsetv6: You last post...Lolwut?

Anywho have fun in the dust when I leave both of you behind when I get my SUPERCHARGE WOOOAH!... anywho I digress...

Holsetv6. After doing a good deal of reading on the Holset Turbos I found some information out. Holset used to be a British company that produced Turbos for diesels (Trucks and Generators). They produced such from 1970's till 2006 when they changed their name to Cummins Turbo Technologies. Anywho Holset Turbo's between early 1990 and current didn't really make turbos for anything less than a 4L Diesel engine.

After a lot more research on that turbo I narrowed it down to a Holset HY35W (HE351) which was used on a Cummins Turbo Diesel 5.9L engine. Further reading I found that it also spools up around 2.5 - 3.0k or so on that engine. Soooo seing as how you've literally cut the size of the engine in half with an MX-3 you're looking at early to mid 6k RPM for spool up on that turbo. Which would be literally useless. So I would suggest doing some more reading on turbos. ;)
-H3xT0r
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Who called it! :lol:
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
holsetv6

Post by holsetv6 »

Ok now that we know its a holset he351 what size oil line or retrictor do i need to be running. I should just search for this but I have and since I dont think anyone has used this turbo I can't find it when I search... and thanks alot for specs

im not trying to run the full boost that the big truck engine is running tho... i think this turbo spooled 10psi at 4k on a 1.6 honda motor .. i can get another turbo if this one doesnt work. I think something must be wrong about ur calculations because look at these videos.. i refuse to talk s--- i think u guys are smart but i want more proof this turbo wont spool before 6k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CoNvX1QylI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgGe1BOZl0I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4Ck9kPRjE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI-GenrQNZo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but also I need to know if this oil sandwich plate that is in my picture will fit the k8 motor. im not talking about a sandwich plate betweeen the manifold and turbo. this goes between oil filter and the motor.
Last edited by holsetv6 on September 6th, 2010, 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Forced Induction”