Mazda Mx-3: Future Classic?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: Mazda Mx-3: Future Classic?

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Like I said, I was just stating my preferences.
But you're right: it's all about the sales. And the 3's poor sales (at least in the US) are a clear indication that those engine options were a bad decision.
The MX-3 is CLEARLY superior to any other car in its category. If it wasn't so brutally underpowered , it would probably still be in the market.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
stratman1988
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by stratman1988 »

A RWD MX-3 would be sick, if there is two things the MX-3 needs its RWD and more power!
'93 Blaze Red MX-3 SE
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

and tilt steering.. ha ha...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

-eunos- wrote:and tilt steering.. ha ha...
You mean tilt wheel...?

If so, I wasn't aware any didn't have it?

If not, please clarify.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

johnmx3ze wrote:in my town theres 5 mx3's me (2) my friend(1) old lady(1) and an some kid(1)

i think there pretty rare... but not alot of people like em... when i talk to people and talk about cars i have to say my white car cause if i say mx3 there like ummm what is that? mazda? lol
My city has a population of 120+ thousand people(Not that big, but for Oregon that's huge), and I've counted fewer than 15 Mx3s... counting mine(that's Eugene, Springfield, Glenwood, Veneta, Elmira, Thurston, and Lorane)

I have a list going too.. :/

2 Red RS's, 92 and 93. The 93 was minty(as best I could see, was on the highway and had a brief view)
The 92 had hit a pole and was never fully repaired.

1 Noble Green GS(Nicest in Eugene that I've seen so far, beautiful. I'd give it a 9.5/10 for body/paint maintenance)

2 White RS's, 1 of which was alright, until it was wrecked and posted on craigslist.
The other I found on Craigslist, and tracked to the 2nd purchaser(in 2 days it changed hands twice...), which was a smaller dealership. They were trying to pass it off as a GS, despite the title, lack of sunroof, zero power options, and the fact that the V6 emblem on the back was gold, whereas the Mazda and MX3 were silver...) Oddly enough, it DID have a K8. Mtx too, not that that would be model specific.

1 Dark Blue GS(Smokin' hot driver ;), the body/paint were great with the exception being the roof fading, and the interior was gutted beyond belief. It brought a tear to my eye...)

3 Red GS's:
1 Mine
1 Minty [VERY well maintained inside and out, left a note under his wiper at the mall that said MX-3.com / MrMazda92 + a compliment on the maintenance, the guy even had GORGEOUS Red/Black OEM floormats... Luggage Cover, and the mirror was even rust-free]
1 I saw driving downtown and didn't get a good view before it turned onto the highway, although the paint was nice.
I have seen these 2 repeatedly, but never when I am able to do so much as wave.
2 Black GS's:
1 at an apartment complex by the mall, great exterior, way too much tint, couldn't see the interior clearly.
1 at the mall, seen it repeatedly but the driver is always there for an extended period of time. Waited patiently to no avail.

1 Light Blue GS: Never saw it again, and it was on I-5 north(I was headed south)

Most of my friends(Including my girlfriend) call me whenever they see one.

A friend took a trip to El Salvador and claimed he saw 20+ different ones, although he is prone to exaggeration.

3 or 4 seem to be summer only cars, all the more minty ones(excluding the black one with dark tint) have only been around during the warm months.

I just wish there were a few more... like 10 or 12 Daily Drivers, as it would be nice to have somebody to wave to :(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My Mx-3 had tilt steering...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
h3xt0r

Post by h3xt0r »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:It's a classic when Jay Leno says so :mrgreen:
QFT
-H3xT0r
kateCapshaw wrote:The moment somebody says to me, "This is very risky," is the moment it becomes attractive to me.
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

yeah mine doesn't... (96 eunos 30x V6) :-( its hard for a tall person like me (189cms) :-(
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

-eunos- wrote:yeah mine doesn't... (96 eunos 30x V6) :-( its hard for a tall person like me (189cms) :-(
Wow, I had no idea they didn't :/ You can probably put it in, assuming you could get the parts from an A/E-spec car. You certainly are in the right place, if you're interested.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
sneechsandwich

Post by sneechsandwich »

MX-3s are pretty obscure, outside of their cult. :D I have run into a few people who when I mention mine trail off with...."i used to have one of those..." I highly doubt they will become a classic because they just aren't popular enough. Those who know of them do seem to seek them out though. It's only the rest of the world's loss for their ignorance. :lol:
davmac

Post by davmac »

I wish the MX-3 would become a classic, but as others have said it was never popular enough nor did it precede a car that became hugely popular. Think old 2002 bimmer as the predecessor to the 3 series. The MX-3 is just a quirky good looking car in my eyes – and others on this forum. It is a fun car to drive, quick, reliable enough to drive every day and gets pretty good gas mileage. I’m going to keep mine for a while. I’m OK with the fact that I’ll have to explain what an MX-3 is to anyone who asks “What is that little car you drive?” As far as I'm concerned it was one of the first street legal go karts as bimmer likes to advertise their mini cooper.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

It's even better seeing the look on ppl's faces when you debadge the rear, yet leave the EUNOS badge on the front... they are like WTF is that? neva seen that badge before..
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: The reason the Mx-3 never would of same with a DE would be that it would of eaten into the Mx-6/Probe sales and would of nipped at the heals of the Rx-7 for performance (minus the handling of course).
Do you seriously think that? An RX7 at that time ran 13.5 and a DE MX3 runs a mid 15, thats a huge difference. I had a couple of KLZE MX3s with bolt-ons and megasquirt and my FD stock was a lot faster than them. It was a very noticeable difference.

Also, how does the OP even think this is a debate?? Hell no the MX3 will never be a classic. Sorry but even today nobodys ever heard of it so it has no chance whatsoever. I still love them though, too bad theres no good ones for sale in NYC.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote: The MX-3 is CLEARLY superior to any other car in its category. If it wasn't so brutally underpowered , it would probably still be in the market.
What a biased, untrue statement. Look at the numbers again please. The SE-R Sentra, NX2000, Geo Storm, and CRX SI all outperformed the MX3 in its class at the time of its release. I do think its the best looking and sounding out of all its competitors though.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

2RotorsNaDream wrote: Also, how does the OP even think this is a debate?? Hell no the MX3 will never be a classic. Sorry but even today nobodys ever heard of it so it has no chance whatsoever.
QFT

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”