DIY mechanic shop - need your input please

Off-Topic Discussions

Would you rent a lift for $25-$30 an hour with conditions described below?

Yes
No votes
No - that's too costly
No votes
No - I can do everything I need to from home
No votes

Total votes: 0

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

DIY mechanic shop - need your input please

Post by Mooneggs »

So my roommate came up with an idea for a business and I'm curious what you guys think since most of us do stuff in our garages laying on the floor...

For approx. $25-$30 an hour, would you pay to rent out a lift/garage to do the work on your car that you may not be able to complete at home?

You could bring your own tools or rent the shop tools. There's also tools that would be rent free such as air compressors, engine hoist, sandblaster, parts wash, press, plasma cutter, torch, welder, etc etc.

Would love your input...

EDIT: It looks like the poll isn't working correctly so please just reply with your thoughts.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: DIY mechanic shop - need your input please

Post by umcamara »

Interesting idea. You'd have some liability issues to worry about though, I think...

I have a car lift, so I wouldn't support your business :)
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

I could understand the air compressor being rent free but the welders, blasting cabinets, and any tools that require media, material, and or lots of maintenance would have to be charged for because those material cut take a huge chunk of your profits. its a good idea but it would take a while to take off.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Ive known a few people that looked into supporting a buisness this way and in pretty much every case insurance was the killer. You have to figure in the yocal that lifts his car without placeing the supports in the proper spot and crushes his undercarrage, not to mention the "expert welder" that just burnt your shop down, both of which will hold you liable.

Otherwise I thnk it would be a great idea, also ild combine it with a ministorage unit so that way people can store their projects that they cant finish and possibly have the torches/welders be done by proffesionals on your payroll for a reduced price. Not to mention to cover overhead your probably going to be closer to the $75hr range.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

thanks for the replies so far...

The lifts would only be able to be operated by the employee with a special key as well as the specialty tools using materials (welders, etc). The challenge is basically having "mechanics" on staff to work on the specialty stuff... Or maybe we just don't offer the specialty stuff and the main draw is the lift.

I also like the idea of a mini storage unit to store stuff if working over a period of time. And if you are waiting on a part to arrive and need to leave the car there in the parking lot or something.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Mooneggs wrote:thanks for the replies so far...

The lifts would only be able to be operated by the employee with a special key as well as the specialty tools using materials (welders, etc). The challenge is basically having "mechanics" on staff to work on the specialty stuff... Or maybe we just don't offer the specialty stuff and the main draw is the lift.

I also like the idea of a mini storage unit to store stuff if working over a period of time. And if you are waiting on a part to arrive and need to leave the car there in the parking lot or something.
Having an employee there at all times to operate the "special key" would negate the $25-30/hr that you'd be bringing in...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Although there have been many times where I wished I could put my car up on a hoist, I would never spend the money on that. I would just tough it out and jack up my car and crawl on the floor :welder:
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
h3xt0r

Post by h3xt0r »

I think you may be better off charging by the day and not the hour. like 75-100bucks a day. :-P Than I might be interested. xD
-H3xT0r
kateCapshaw wrote:The moment somebody says to me, "This is very risky," is the moment it becomes attractive to me.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

There a place in Albany, NY that will be opening up or just opened that does this. Can even rent a mechanic or machinist if you don't have the skills to do custom work. Can't find the link otherwise I'd post it, it did look very cool.

For those of us that are crazy enough, they'd be thinking instead of installing a rotary lift at home. LOL. I will get there someday.

Personally, I'd not rent a lift since I have 2 jacks / 8 jackstands at home and prefer to leave 2-3 days for projects like struts, etc since you never know what else you will find. For under body work like exhaust, it would be nice.

Return to “Off-Topic”