Filthy wheels

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
czwan

Filthy wheels

Post by czwan »

Hopefully this is the right place to post this; I looked around, didn't see anything relevant in the "Appearance" section....

Any tricks or techniques to clean the wheels, I guess "alloy" silver-y wheels that came stock on MX-3's...? I tried to clean mine once, had no luck getting any of the grime off.

Looks like road grime/brake dust/etc. Thanks for any suggestions.
solo_ryder

Re: Filthy wheels

Post by solo_ryder »

What have you tried?

You can go to a local parts store or walmart and get some rims cleaner. Spray it on, let it soak for a few seconds and give it a good brush (I use a dish brush with light pressure) and then rinse off. Dont let the spray sit for too long or it can damage the clearcoat on the rims.

If that doesnt work you can try using the hydrocloric acid route, but that is abit tricky. Pic courtesy of mooneggs:

mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

There is wheel cleaner designed specifically for chrome/aluminum etc wheels. You have to follow directions on the bottle.
I usually spray wheels with strong stream of water first. If you have pressure washer that would be best. Get rid of all dirt that's on there. Spray wheel cleaner and let it soak for a while, don't let it dry on the wheels. I usually get brush and brush each wheel real good, making sure I get in corners. For dirty wheels might have to spray some more cleaner and soak for some more time. Get your pressure washer or strong stream of water and rinse each wheel. You might have to apply more cleaner to spots you might've missed.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
czwan

Post by czwan »

I guess I don't remember what I used. Seems like it was some sort of blue detergent stuff that didn't work at all. Time to take a trip to autozone or walmart. Thanks.
OkieOFT
antispam: No

Post by OkieOFT »

I use Simple Green to clean wheels. Cuts right through brake dust.
94 MX-3 RS Blaze Red
czwan

Post by czwan »

Forgot about Simple Green. Good idea, will try it out.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”