KLZE water pump!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Legato626

KLZE water pump!

Post by Legato626 »

I am leaking coolent right under the water pump so I am guessing its the water pump. For a KLZE what car should I order a water pump off of or does the K8 water pump work? And how much of a pain is it to replace it?
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
EggyRollz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KLZE water pump!

Post by EggyRollz »

I was under the impression you had to order it for whatever vehicle the ZE came out of. Also I think it's T-belt ran so you might as well do timing belt , timing belt tensioner and idler while you are in there.

If wrong, please correct.
94 Tahoe Sport SS - 454 =)
93 3KGT VR4 - K&N Filter.Proxes 4 Tires. Drilled/Slotted Rotors.
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
Feedback-viewtopic.php?f=37&t=74259
For Sale-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74832
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

All k series waterpumps are the same... Sorta.

Get a probe wp, but before you do that measure the pilot of the waterpump as there are 2 sizes.. 16mm (older klze) and 24mm (newer klze/de)

The pilot is the center part of the pulley, looks like a quarter in the middle of the pulley.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

EggyRollz wrote:I was under the impression you had to order it for whatever vehicle the ZE came out of. Also I think it's T-belt ran so you might as well do timing belt , timing belt tensioner and idler while you are in there.

The water pump is not run by the timing belt, you can actually do the whole water pump swap in less than a couple hours if you're quick.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
EggyRollz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by EggyRollz »

hppwdn wrote:
EggyRollz wrote:I was under the impression you had to order it for whatever vehicle the ZE came out of. Also I think it's T-belt ran so you might as well do timing belt , timing belt tensioner and idler while you are in there.

The water pump is not run by the timing belt, you can actually do the whole water pump swap in less than a couple hours if you're quick.
Is it outside of the timing case ? I was under the impression all KL series were in the timing case and a real beast ( expensive as well ) to change. Then again, I've never done one myself XD
94 Tahoe Sport SS - 454 =)
93 3KGT VR4 - K&N Filter.Proxes 4 Tires. Drilled/Slotted Rotors.
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
Feedback-viewtopic.php?f=37&t=74259
For Sale-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74832
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

It is under the timing cover, but the pulley sticks out past the cover, its routed into the alternator/ac serpentine
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

ya it looks like a pain to get in there to everything but it looks simple to replace!
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

solo_ryder wrote:It is under the timing cover, but the pulley sticks out past the cover, its routed into the alternator/ac serpentine
It's on the power steering/water pump belt (inside one on the crank pulley, 4 rib). The AC/Alternator is the other belt (outside one on the crank pulley, 5 rib)

To the OP, if you pull off all the timing covers and the passenger motor mount you can unbolt the water pump and slide it from behind the timing belt very easily, then just put it all back together and drive.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

By the time you've removed everything and exposed the TB it's kinda worth it to replace the belt as well. The TB tensioner should be replaced but usually only after an engine has reached the 200,000klm point. I know some people even jack the engine a bit on the passengers side to make access easier.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Its just the seal I over heated a little bit and it started leaking. Its still driveable but i have to watch my coolent!!
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

davmac

Post by davmac »

Well when you do the water pump I'll confirm it is possible to get it done without removing the timing belt. If the tb is old that would be a silly thing to do, but it can be done. Use a jack isolated by a piece of wood under the right side of the oil pan when removing the right side engine mount. Doing this will give you room and allow you to control the tilt of the engine for best access.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
SteeleMX3
antispam: No

Post by SteeleMX3 »

look up my previous posts on changing my waterpump... that was my first time, not cool, just not cool.
1992 Mazda MX3 Precidia GS-KLZE :: Rockin' my world since 2009
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72989 ---> Workloooogg

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”