PLEASE READ: Purpose of the Anti-Virus Forum

Please post here any content related to fighting viruses on the internet. (ie. Internet e-mail headers to help track down virus infected computers in the MX-3 community.)
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: PLEASE READ: Purpose of the Anti-Virus Forum

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

This post builds upon Jeff's info. Great call to set up this forum & thanks for inviting comments. My 2 Cents...

Anti-virus(AV) Protection : Agree w/Jeff-Symantec Norton anti-virus software is one of the most robust available. As for other anti-virus programs, Trendmicro seems to be excellent as noted by "Talon_66" in the post below. I've been running Trendmicro for a couple months and am very impressed. If you're not running AV software on your PC, ANYTHING reputable is better than nothing.

Whatever you decide to use, highly recommend activating any Web enabled "live" autoupdate feature available thru the anti-virus software. This will keep your PC's virus definitions up-to-date and new virus definitions come out frequently, often weekly & sometimes daily. It's no guarantee your PC will never be infected but does hugely increase the odds you'll be protected against most newly developed viruses & worms. You can find Norton AntiVirus for download here and it is fifty bucks well spent http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat1/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=39910&SID=27674&SP=10007&PN=5&PID=582926&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=39910

Microsoft "Holes" & MS Update : It's also important to keep your Microsoft software up-to-date by using "Microsoft Windows Update." The vast majority of ppl use a Microsoft Windows Operating System (OS) such as MS XP, 2000, NT, 98, 95. That is why most viruses and worms are specifically designed to exploit "holes"/vulnerabilities in these since nearly everyone uses one these OS's. It's important to understand that within the IT industry, it is well known that Microsoft is notorious for allowing their software to be released for public use even though security vulnerabilities may (usually) exist. Just because their software becomes publicly available is no assurance at all that it is completely secure . MS has been somewhat more diligent about this flawed approach recently than in the past but they still have a LOOOONG way to go in improving their development and testing processes BEFORE releasing products for public consumption.

Microsoft is constantly developing "critical patches" for their already-released products as new vulnerabilities become known. Highly recommend using the FREE Microsoft Windows Update available here http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp. The site and install process is extremely easy to use, even for the novice. Go to the site, click on "scan for updates" and Microsoft will tell you what updates you are missing on your PC. You don't necessarily need to install every update MS offers. Some that are not in a "critical" category you may never use & can take up a lot of storage and memory capacity (your call). However, you should definitely install the ones categorized as "critical."

I tried to write this info up in fairly plain english for a general level of understanding. I'm in the Info Technology biz and sometimes we forget that not everyone is a "propeller head" nor do they want to be one. Hope it helps someone from ever experiencing the heartbreak of a hosed PC, lost data & programs and just as importantly, helps keep nasty viruses, worms, and trojan horses from replicating to other user PC's. :roll:

<small>[ June 26, 2004, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

I use [url=http://www.trendmicro.com,]www.trendmicro.com,[/url] do free online virus scans. I find it works way better then Symantec and doesnt slow your computer down.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

Hi guys, I personally use Avast Anti-Virus www.avast.com. The home edition is free and updates are readily available, it catches all the viruses ive had the pleasure of and also Trojan horses. For a firewall i cant recommend Zonealarm www.zonelabs.com more than anything else. I used this software before i upgraded my Network to a Residential Gateway Router. any more info. drop me an email
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Dragon1212 »

Avg Free & Spybot Search and destroy
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Some people will do anything to bump up their post count. :lol:

Anyway, Malwarebytes.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

I use avast on my home and laptop avg, I think avg does a good job keeping the resource use down on old platforms.
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

I thought Microsoft security essentials is pretty kosher :)
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You need the strength and insight that only a virus suite from the motherland can provide, Kasperski. Enough said. :twisted:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

Daninski wrote:You need the strength and insight that only a virus suite from the motherland can provide, Kasperski. Enough said. :twisted:
Just like the motherland I find it to be a resource hog at times, but your right it does keep the viruses out.... But at cost...
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(

Return to “Anti-Virus Forum”