At last, MX-6 ECU + KL02 vs. Probinator + JE50 dyno results.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ramsen25

Re: At last, MX-6 ECU + KL02 vs. Probinator + JE50 dyno resu

Post by ramsen25 »

Hey guys I got my ecu and Im about to get it chipped probinator gave me his number to get in touch i can call him tomorrow to find anything out if u would like and by the looks of some peoples post is probinator any good wut should I do lol
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Going along Solo's line... there is one assumption I see in this thread, and thats that there actually IS a perfect combination.

What if the probinator is imperfect? Very decent, but imperfect?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

I also get to try out my brothers "magic" ecu soon. A kl49 94 probe ecu with a probinator for a straight neck, on a kl02. Gets over 600km to a tank with a non working 2nd vris. He can keep up well with me in my ze with working vris.
did you ever get to try your bros ecu? did it improve your gas mileage?

has anyone tried asking probinator what he thinks may be the problem? maybe ask him to read this thread so he has more feedback from people with mx3's using his chip on different ecu/im/vaf combos?
Igor and I had a interesting discussion today and basically it has just come down to the ze chip for the mx3 that has caused these issues, it seems probinator hasn't programmed the chips for 94+ mx3s that only use one sensor.
are 92/93's running better? is it just 94+ that are running rich?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

mikeinaus wrote:did you ever get to try your bros ecu? did it improve your gas mileage?
No, did nothing at all besides screw my vris points up
mikeinaus wrote:has anyone tried asking probinator what he thinks may be the problem? maybe ask him to read this thread so he has more feedback from people with mx3's using his chip on different ecu/im/vaf combos?
There is no need to ask really about the coolant issue as the problem exists in the coding of the chip, plain and simple. He just made a basic chip for the mx3 folks and never took into account the removed sensor for the 94+ mx3's. But he did do this for the 94+ probes. I suppose he could modify it but I am not sure if he could do that.

As for the perfect combo, well I would assume that a chipped k801 and a JE50 is the best combo out there. I have tried pretty much all possible combos and they are all exactly the same in regards to fuel mileage and power. The ONLY difference is that the curved neck chipped ECU has the correct VRIS points, so that would be the optimal choice.

However, to this day I still think the kl31/36 pulled harder on the top end, even if it was running at or below 10:1 A/F
mikeinaus wrote:are 92/93's running better? is it just 94+ that are running rich?
No, it has nothing to do with running rich, this whole discussion now is focusing on the fact that the probinator chip is not set up for 94+ cars with one less coolant sensor temp. a 94 KLZE mx is gonna run the same as a 92-93 mx with a KLZE, its just the sensor that is causing abit of a problem. I wired mine in so its not an issue for me anymore.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

is your gas mileage comparable to your bros now? assuming it only has to do with that missing sensor shouldnt wiring it in bring it closer to spec? i dont remember if i read this or not in this thread. do probe gts, mx6's and mx3 probinator chips use the same fuel map?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

mikeinaus wrote:is your gas mileage comparable to your bros now? assuming it only has to do with that missing sensor shouldnt wiring it in bring it closer to spec? i dont remember if i read this or not in this thread. do probe gts, mx6's and mx3 probinator chips use the same fuel map?
My fuel mileage hasn't changed no matter what ecu that I have. The ECTS sensor (extra fan sensor) doesn't effect the fuel mileage. I only assume he is getting better mileage as he is running no catalytic converter and has newer 02 sensors.

The probe and mx3 chips should be identical except for the different VRIS points.

Oh yea.. 5000 posts.. woot
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

im running a kl02 vaf with an obdII k8 ecu with my ze..im curious after reading this thread if i would benefit from swapping my ecu to an obdII from a probe/mx6?
ImageImageImageImage
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

tmac4t4 wrote:im running a kl02 vaf with an obdII k8 ecu with my ze..im curious after reading this thread if i would benefit from swapping my ecu to an obdII from a probe/mx6?
Probably. The only issue I see is that the wiring on the DE ecu is different then the K8.. Crazy OBD2 stuff.

But I can tell you without a doubt that a KLZE runs 10x better on a DE combo then a K8 Combo on a OBDI car
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

what do you mean the wiring is different? like the plugs that go into the computer or what? sorry if i sound ignorant, i havent done too much messing around with the ecu but i really dont like the idea of running a k8 computer with a ze..im limited though because of the obd2
ImageImageImageImage
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

the obd 2 ecu and kl02 combo run a better air fuel mix than the obd1 counterparts, the only thing you are missing is running the proper vris points. That can be fixed using msd window switches and then you can set them to whatever rpm you want. The other option is to run megasquirt which would require you to take wires from the ecu harness and run them to the ms box, or swap back to obd1 and then get the chip.
bbox

Post by bbox »

ok, im lost... am i to assume that i can use a DE ECU with the probinator and the DE VAF on a ze? Im plannin on putting on in my 93 gs.

also, what can be used with a curve neck mani?
If me and my goal are both "alive", then it IS possible. Anything can happen as long as there is will.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

There are several combinations you can use to run your ZE. The DE ECU is designed to work with the KL-03 VAF. The MX-3 ECU is designed to work with the JE-50 VAF. Either of those combinations can and have been used successfully. The Probinator chip can be ordered for either of those ECU’s and the chip can be coded to work with either the curved or straight neck VRIS points.

So you can use either a DE or MX-3 ECU so long as you use the corresponding VAF and you can chip either of them to work with the curved or straight neck IM...provided the ECU is chippable.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

KL02's have already been tried on the OBD1 and everyone said they were no good. Only good on the OBD2s. I'd be surprised if something has changed that. I have the KL31 and JE50 and I was going to Probinator an ECU and compare but maybe I'll do the DE set up instead and try that. Good work guys.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
bbox

Post by bbox »

ok bishop, im understanding you now with that.
my next question is the ZE ECU with the JE50 talk earlier... Does this mean that if i get a ZE with an ECU i can just use my JE50 with it and call it good?
If me and my goal are both "alive", then it IS possible. Anything can happen as long as there is will.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yes the ZE uses the same JE50 in it's stock Japanese car.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”