Need help selecting a transmission to be used in a sand-rail

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
lazzer408

Re: Need help selecting a transmission to be used in a sand-

Post by lazzer408 »

Tonight I completed the rear subframe and started fitting the engine. I will probably make an oil pan to drop the engine lower. Was this engine ever used in a rear wheel drive car? One snag I have is the manifold hitting one of the frame tubes. Anyone know if the Millena manifold fits a KL?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Cool! I'd have to see the RX-7 wheels next to the rail.
Alot of people use the Millenia manifold. You'd just have the VRIS points off. I forgot for a second that it was mid-engine, when I said that about the torque hop.
I like this build!
The only rear wheel KLs I've seen were on this site with the major power ones: http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/V6_baja/KLZE_cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

Tonight I cut the windage tray down and relocated the oil pickup. I'll be fabing a 6 quart aluminum pan as well with some baffles in it. This allows me to set the engine 4-5" lower in the chassis. I took pics of it but I can't get them off my phone. =( I'll figure it out though. I got a shot of the 2 GSXR pipes on it. Looks tits but I won't be able to put them on each side of the chassis, like in the picture, because the manifold will be in the way. I will be able to fit them side-by-side on the left though.

The 7 spares look sweet on it. Nice tread too. I'll have to nab a shot of that this weekend.

I need this moved to a build thread.
lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

Oil pan almost finished. Picking up the trans, ecu, mounts, flywheel, etc etc later today. Should have this running in a few days.

For anyone interested. When relocating the oil sump to the rear of the engine, you can use a Miata B6 (1.6L) pick-up tube. It'll bolt on and you just have to tweak it over a nudge. Picks soon I swear! lol
lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

It got a KL-DE from a 626 and a manual from a Probe GT. :D

"Calculated" @ 165hp
0-60 3.09s
1/4mi 10.4s

"Calculated" @ 250hp (boost)
0-60 2.36s
1/4mi 9.2s

With stock torque it's 18ft-lbs away from a wheelie. O.O

It runs now using the Probe GT ECU and Probe GT harness. With no CEL (yes I wired it in) \:D/ but I still have alot to do. Future updates found here: http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=48927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

I thought since I was here I'd update this. It's running. Damn is it fast! :D

This was it's first run. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1CsMw3H4yY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Transmissions”