CEL Code Help!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wreckedgs
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

CEL Code Help!!!

Post by wreckedgs »

Ok so I have searched and I must be searching the wrong terms but here goes...My car cranks over but refuses to start it was running fine this morning but after doing a coolant flush and an oil change I went to start the car and it started up but as soon as i went to let my foot off the clutch and get out of the car it sputtered and died now i cant get it started at all...my buddy down the street says that the crank angle sensor might be bad judging from the info i gave him...but I pulled the CEL codes by jumping TEn to GRND and i took a video of it bc I cant decipher the codes maybe someone here can help read them and let me know if it might be the crank sensor i know its code NE2 for the sensor but i cant tell if thats what my CEL is telling me or not....heres my video...http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t250 ... D00000.mp4

let me know please lol i need it running by tuesday morning to get to work lol
P.S watch the video from the 4 second mark bc my cam cut out and i restarted the CEL
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: CEL Code Help!!!

Post by mikeinaus »

code 2 and 46. after you turn the key and the cel turns off then when it starts to flash is the code. quick flashes count as X1, long flasher count as X10. so if you have 2 quick flashes = 2, and 4 long flashes fallowed by 6 quick flashes it is (4x10) + (6x1) = 46, long periods of blank is the space between codes. codes get restarted when it has gone threw all the problems...
Code 2: NE2 Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Sensor Purpose:

This sensor sends un-conditioned Hall-effect signals to the PCME that the PCME uses to determine crankshaft angular velocity (RPM). It is typically termed "NE2" or "CKP2". This sensor is located low on the engine, on the accessory-side near the crankshaft pulley. It is nestled in behind the dipstick tube.

Fault Description:

This code indicates that the crankshaft position sensor is not sending crankshaft velocity information to the PCME or the PCME is unable to make use of the signal it is sending.

PCM Fault Control Moding:

When Code 2 is present, the PCM ignores it and instead relies on NE1 for crankshaft speed data. This sensor is located in the distributor. This is not the preferred condition since the timing belt tends to make the RPM signals erratic, affecting the PCMs ability to accurately measure crankshaft speed. NOTE:1995+ GTs do not have an NE1 sensor and will not run when Code 2 is present.

Memorization:

This code is memorized in the PCME non-volatile memory.

Things To Check When Diagnosing:

Make sure the NE2 connector and PCM connectors are clean and tight. Re-seat if necessary.

Check the resistance of the NE2 sensor. Unplug it and use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance across the two sensor pins which are the DB and DG wires. It should measure between 520 and 580 ohms.

Check for a short between the DB and DG wires and the BK/R wire (ground). If there is a short, the harness has a short.
Code 46: VRIS #2 Control Solenoid

Solenoid Purpose:

The VRIS valves are manifold-effective-length altering butterfly valves that are used to tune the length of the intake tract to maximize ram-effect tuning and thus torque. The PCME activates these valves at present RPM values if the TPS setting is high enough.

There are two valves. The #1 set is located the the left side (viewed from the radiator) and the #2 set is located nearer the throttle body. The solenoid for both valves are located at the firewall side of the intake plenum and you can see them just poking out from behind it. The #2 solenoid is the one on the right as viewed from the radiator.

The VRIS #2 solenoid sensor has a 2-position connector:

Wire Colour
Purpose

DB/R
VRIS #2 control (PCME grounds to activate)
R/BK
+12V main relay power

Fault Description:

The VRIS #2 solenoid is checked within the first 3-seconds of engine start-up or when the TEN pin is grounded. The PCME releases all solenoid control and then activates the #2 solenoid. If solenoid is absent (i.e. the solenoid is not sensed to become active), the PCME detects this and sets code 46. If any solenoid is shorted to +12V, the PCME may be unable to detect any other solenoid failure.

PCME Fault Control Moding:

The PCME takes no action when Code 46 is present. Power reduction at 4250 RPM will be noticed though.

Memorization:

This code is not memorized in the PCME non-volatile memory. When the engine is shut off, the code is not retained.

Check the connectors and wiring between the PCME and the #2 VRIS solenoid.

Check for +12V at the R/BK wire of the connector. If absent, check the main relay and wiring.

Check the resistance of the solenoid. Typically it should be between 12-16 ohms at 20oC.

wreckedgs

Post by wreckedgs »

Alrighty then my buddy was correct in his guess...but how important is the vris code? And forgive me but I'm on my blackberry so could u explain the vris fix for me in laymans terms lol
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

im not exactly sure how they work but they open up at a certain rpm and give the motor a bit of a performance boost. there not likely to cause any of the issues like your describing. you would want to replace for optimal performance thow. id check your vacuum lines as a leak/incorrect setup can cause the vris to not function properly.

Check for +12V at the R/BK wire of the connector. If absent, check the main relay and wiring.

Check the resistance of the solenoid. Typically it should be between 12-16 ohms at 20oC.
wreckedgs

Post by wreckedgs »

mikeinaus wrote:im not exactly sure how they work but they open up at a certain rpm and give the motor a bit of a performance boost. there not likely to cause any of the issues like your describing. you would want to replace for optimal performance thow. id check your vacuum lines as a leak/incorrect setup can cause the vris to not function properly.

well im assuming the NE2 code is the one causing the problem but i didnt completley understand the vris code although i knew it was something to do with the Intake, but now I know what it is and i def wanna get it fixed at the same time as my crank sensor lol, but thanks mike thanks for the great input and explanations

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”