help with removal...

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Hobbyist93
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

help with removal...

Post by Hobbyist93 »

Hey I'm new to the site but i been reading a lot of the forums and have noticed that this is definately the site i want to be a part of. So my story is that i just bought a 1993 Mazda Mx-3 it's the GS model and i am looking to over the course of time to completely overhaul the engine and fix up the body to show class potential. But this question may seem very funny to most but i just can't figure out why i can't get the rear bumper off to replace it with just another stock bumper for now. I found all the bolts but I can't seem to get these plastic screws off the bottom of the rear bumper so if anyone has any tips i would greatly appreciate them. :D
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: help with removal...

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hobbyist93 wrote:Hey I'm new to the site but i been reading a lot of the forums and have noticed that this is definately the site i want to be a part of. So my story is that i just bought a 1993 Mazda Mx-3 it's the GS model and i am looking to over the course of time to completely overhaul the engine and fix up the body to show class potential. But this question may seem very funny to most but i just can't figure out why i can't get the rear bumper off to replace it with just another stock bumper for now. I found all the bolts but I can't seem to get these plastic screws off the bottom of the rear bumper so if anyone has any tips i would greatly appreciate them. :D
I'm going to assume they are spinning but not backing out?(I had the same problem on my front lip)

Try to get your hand up and behind them, there should be some kind of backing that will allow you to grip it with your fingers.

If this doesn't work, you will need someone more experienced than I to give tips.

Good luck, I hope it works for you!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

thank you for the tip but now i really messed up and I stripped the head is there a way I can get them out now or am i going to need to break them.
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

You have to consider that they are 17 years old by now. Plastic starts to get brittle with age. Honestly, if you can't get them out without breaking them, break them and buy new ones. Mazda, Ebay, and a few other places should have them for purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-Ford- ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-Mazda ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

very true alright thanks anything else i should know about removing the rear bumper or should that be my last step to removal. Also any places you would suggest i get me a new bumper for the rear that will get me through until i can afford a body kit
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hobbyist93 wrote:very true alright thanks anything else i should know about removing the rear bumper or should that be my last step to removal. Also any places you would suggest i get me a new bumper for the rear that will get me through until i can afford a body kit
Have you tried the search feature yet? I haven't tried to remove my rear bumper yet, so I haven't searched that specifically. There are typically quite a few threads for any given topic/discussion, so you will probably find a good one that has good tips if you search :)

As for buying a new rear bumper, I'd say these forums, local wrecker, or Craigslist.

Forums are nice because people tend to have extra stuff laying around collecting dust.

Wreckers like to rape on price, especially for older parts. They'll give any excuse in the book to charge an arm and a leg.

Craigslist is in between, you might get it dirt cheap. Might not find it at all, but I'd at least check there!

Typically I'd say avoid body kits, but our stock rear bumper is my least favorite part of the car. Honestly I don't like it at all... It's so bubbly.

If I were you, I would probably just save up for an aftermarket one, if you intend to get one anyways.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

alright thanks alot I will definatly check on all of that and ya i might just wait it out and save up for a aftermarket one. Ya i really like the body style of the mx-3 but like you i don't like the rear bumper all that much. Do you have any specific ones that you prefer over the stock one.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

No problem!

I'm doing the same myself, while saving for other projects too! I need to stop spreading myself so thin...
Agreed 100%, It looks amazing until you see that rear bumper.
I have seen a few I liked, but none enough to memorize the name. I know there are a few good sites for MX3 body kits though, this one seems to have a good selection, although I'm not sure whether or not the prices are that good. http://www.andysautosport.com/mazda/1992_1995_mx_3/

At the very least, they have a decent amount of pictures and names to get you started!

If you find a nice one, shoot me the name! I'm looking casually for one, as body/paint is my last project I intend to complete.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
SCHIMMLE

Post by SCHIMMLE »

I've tried this search function you are talking about. I've yet to find a thread that says how to remove the bumper. The closest I could find was a thread full of comments of how difficult the rear bumper was to remove. Not how to actually do it.
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

that's the same problem i am having lol... alright i will look around and give you some names or sites and see if we can't come up with something that is actually why i only wanted a stock one for now because i am going to start with the engine and transmission/clutch assembly then i was going to go to interior then move on to the exterior i just don't want to drive around looking like i ran the thing into a wall or something lol.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

@SCHIMMLE
The search parameters are very specific, if you use the +'s and -'s as well as location based searching, it will steer you in the right direction. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but it helps a great deal now that I know how to "fine-tune" the feature. If you find a good way to do it, maybe you can write up a Walkthrough, and ask a Mod to post it in the FAQ section.

@Hobbyist93
Alright cool, and thanks! Also, I completely understand wanting it to look at least pleasant. My car has faded paint on the hood and left quarterpanel, and my right door is caved in pretty badly. The only thing I can do right now is keep it sparkling clean, and I feel like I'm cancelling at least a little bit of the "He doesn't take care of his car" thought that may climb through people's heads. The damage that was done to my car happened before I was old enough to drive... way before I owned her, but I still feel like crap for not having it banged out and properly taken care of. That's why I wash the body every 10 days, DEEP cleaning it once a month. I also keep the inside trash free, cleaning it very carefully every 10-14 days.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
SCHIMMLE

Post by SCHIMMLE »

I guess I shall try again.
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

@Mrmazda92

ya same here all the damage done was done by someone else and not myself way before i owned it also. but i just did some looking over really deeply and i have found out that i need to replace all the trim peices on the roof and a new windsheild with a new seal and i also need new seats and a new front bumper along with a new driver side fender as the clips where you attach the body parts together are broken in some spots. I am a very particular kinda person and love to have things perfect. so tomorrows plan and tonight is to find some scrapyards with that car hopefully. any places up around idaho and montana you know of.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hobbyist93 wrote:@Mrmazda92

ya same here all the damage done was done by someone else and not myself way before i owned it also. but i just did some looking over really deeply and i have found out that i need to replace all the trim peices on the roof and a new windsheild with a new seal and i also need new seats and a new front bumper along with a new driver side fender as the clips where you attach the body parts together are broken in some spots. I am a very particular kinda person and love to have things perfect. so tomorrows plan and tonight is to find some scrapyards with that car hopefully. any places up around idaho and montana you know of.
It sucks, knowing other people don't see the value in taking care of your car, lord knows it took good care of them!! Why not return the favor? ;(

I haven't seen the extent of the damage on your car, but I know as far as mine was concerned quite a few things were/are reparable. It is often easier to fix what you already have, as not all cars are exactly the same. Fitment might be off a bit, or color, or anything else really. Replace the minimum you have to is my thought on the matter, it'll save time and money. :)

I am the same way, I take pride in my belongings. Not having expensive things, but taking care of the things I do have. If you can't take care of something cheap, you don't deserve something expensive anyways. :P

Sadly, I wouldn't have a clue for those areas. I'm in Western Oregon, and can tell you there are slim pickings in my area, that's for sure. I've managed to find VERY few private parties with MX3s in southwestern OR, most don't know the value of what they have sitting in their yard.

I honestly don't like the area, but Southern California is a goldmine for MX3s, they are WAY more common down there. Every trip I've ever taken in that part of our country, I've seen 20+ Mx3s in a short period of time. I am lucky to see any others besides mine in a week in Eugene.

Good luck, and I hope you find a good wrecker/parts car!! Also, if you ever get your hands on a rolling shell... horde it. You never know what you might need down the road, and if it's in good condition... you could sell individual parts, or save them for future repairs for your own car.

Good luck!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

thanks a bunch i may have found a guy from over there in oregon who is willing to sell me some of the parts i need for $50 a part so maybe i will get some pics on here of what i am starting off with is there a certain place i am supposed to post that kind of stuff or will in this forum work.

Return to “Appearance”