Car immobilised

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kstarb123
antispam: No

Car immobilised

Post by kstarb123 »

Disaster has struck. I fittted an alarm at the weekend and on reconnecting the battery, the factory fit immobiliser has immobilised the car. The yellow "key" light came on the first time I tried to start the car, then flashed, as if it didn't recognise the key, then stalled the engine. Now it never illuminates at all and the cars immobilised (starter cranks but car doesnt; start).

I've completely removed the alarm (which worked perfectly) and the cars still immobilised. Does anyone know if theres a "limp mode", I've been told some immobilisers have such, to get you to a garage (perhaps not, otherwise that would defeat the reason for having an immobiliser).

I've found a company who can reprogram the immobiliser if I remove it, so my next question is (where is it, is it a seperate unit, connecting to the ECU, or all built in.

This the Mazda factory fit immobiliser, as in UK cars after 95 (I think). My car is a 97 1.6 auto.

Many thanks everyone.
Keith
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: Car immobilised

Post by umcamara »

I'm not familiar with the UK factory immobilizers. However, with North American domestic vehicles, one of the most common ways to reset the immobilizer is to leave the key in the ignition in the full on position (without starting the vehicle) for at least 15 to 20 minutes.

Working as a mobile elecronics installer, there were several times where I had to do this after installing a remote car starter.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MX3-4U2NV

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

umcamara wrote:I'm not familiar with the UK factory immobilizers. However, with North American domestic vehicles, one of the most common ways to reset the immobilizer is to leave the key in the ignition in the full on position (without starting the vehicle) for at least 15 to 20 minutes.

Working as a mobile elecronics installer, there were several times where I had to do this after installing a remote car starter.
Ya, my dads alarm triggered his immobilizer, just like he mentioned, had to leave the key in the on position for that period of time.
kstarb123

Post by kstarb123 »

Hi Guys, I've made a bit of progress.
The immobiliser unit is made by Temic and is also on the UK 323,626 and MX5.
I left the battery disconnected overnight then reconnected it.
I have 2 keys, the black standard one and the grey vallet key.
I used the black key and after 6 on-offs of the ignition key the "car with key inside" symbol lights and I can start the car. However then I have to on-off another 7 times to repeat it.

Battery disconnected a few minutes and I can repeat this.

Next test was to get to the stage where, after 6 on-offs with black key and "car with key" light is on, Take key out.
Put grey key in and on first "on" and "car with key" symbol lights, remove grey key and .....
"car with key" light stays on,even after grey key is removed.

I guess its waiting for me to do something, Affter about 30 seconds light goes.

If I try black key again, it takes another 7 on-offs before the light ever comes on again.

Not quite there yet, There must be something I'm missing doing, but at least I can drive the car to the garage now.

So we know the immobiliser still recognised the keys, but only when the "car with key" light is on.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks everyone.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Ummm... did you try what I suggested??
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”