[WTB] S/S Kickplates

Looking for an Item you'd like to buy? Post here.
This section is NOT for selling.
Lori Carlyle
antispam: No

Re: [WTB] S/S Kickplates

Post by Lori Carlyle »

No worrys bud :) Happy to help
Owner of the UK MX3 site.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Lori Carlyle wrote:No worrys bud :) Happy to help
I actually forgot 2 things, stupid questions I guess but I need to know for sure.

How do the clips attach to the S/S on the bottom?

How does the rubber edge attach? It looks like it just slips around the edge of the sills.

Thanks again!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

Clips:

They don't bud, 2 screws down through the SS into the clips (1 each end)

The clips are one each side of the kick plate, there much like the screw dash clips (if you know what I mean) just without the round top there flat with the expandy part underneath and very easy to break :(

The rubber just slips over the edges (sharp) and help to reduce vibration noise of SS on car chasis.

Very small superglue blobs in places to keep it uniform around the edge of the kick plate.

^^ Image of the Kick plate installed (Only one I have atm) you can see the screw one end, the other is hidden by the door but i've marked it's location.

I might have some spare clips at the garage but i'm not there until sat bud, if I can find them I'll take some pictures for you.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

OH! So the screws go through the SS into the same clips the plastic ones have? Then push into the chassis?

That makes a bit more sense to me now.

Ah, I'll have to find something rubber that matches it decently. I might just get thin rubber cut to match the kickplates and have it between them and the chassis itself. Might help protect the SS as well as the paint underneath.

Thanks again Lori! I think I've got it pretty much figured out now =)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

The clips on the SS kick plates are diffrent to the plastic ones mate :)

Can't screw into the plastic kick plate clips from above.

You can see the top of the clip here

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hmm, I will try to find another mounting method. Maybe something that'll stick into the chassis and stay, so removal requires unscrewing the S/S itself. Thanks!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

MrMazda92 wrote:Hmm, I will try to find another mounting method. Maybe something that'll stick into the chassis and stay, so removal requires unscrewing the S/S itself. Thanks!

It requires removal of the kick plate anyways.

The clips are the same as these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ROVER-75-ZT-DO ... 5d29b2f35d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just oblong on top and not round or gay red :)

(I can pick these clips up in blister packs at any car shop - so they might sell the atual ones needed)

As ALT what you could do is just:

Weld over the hole the clip fits into, and tap a tread for the screws to go into.

You could then remove it and install it as much as you like without breaking the clips or needing any extra tools or whatnot.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ah, I see how those would be easy to break!

I'm 100% in favor of welding the holes and tapping them out for the screws. I wouldn't do it any other way personally, I just need to think of a "plug n play" install for people who are less willing to weld on their chassis.

I was thinking something rectangular that fits into the mounting holes for the clips, and locks in similar to how the tray under our stereos locks in. It's not super durable, but it could handle SOME movement without breaking. Then people could screw into that fairly well, as long as they don't over tighten it.

I'll be welding mine, as you advised! I love it when things are simple to install and remove, especially since I'm obsessed with keeping my car clean.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

I'll phone Mazda up tomorrow and get the part number for the clips.

Other then that, Only thing I can come up with is sticky back velcro.. would lock it down + it's quick and cheep.

or... and don't laugh, something like PVA glue, hard as nails but also easy to remove.

If your welding yours, you can also weld up the round holes between the 2 needed for the SS-KP as these are only needed for the plastic ones.
Blackend

Post by Blackend »

i think i will get som s/s kickplates afterall!! :P
so proud of this thread! and so anxious of the results!
:love:
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

Forums: Even a WTB thread can turn out to have usefull info lol.

Might want to get a mod to cut this into the WTB thread and the Info part of it.
Blackend

Post by Blackend »

will do some time tomorow getting realy late here 00:24....
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hey MoonEggs, I figure you'll read this fairly soon(You read pretty much everything, like a good mod) =) So would you do the honors? :)
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “MX-3 Related Want to Buy Forum”