possible ignition module failure...?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xerostatus

possible ignition module failure...?

Post by xerostatus »

I've found a rather promising prospect on craigslist, a 93 mx-6 ls that apparently doesnt start up. I've talked to the gentleman and he says one day when he got off of work his car was turning over fine but it wasnt starting up. My first instinct was, "$20 HEI fix...!" but then he told me that he's checked his disty cap and wires, and that there was indeed spark.

My question is: am i correct in assuming that if the ignition module fails, there would be no spark to the wires?

Thanks in advance for any replies
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
==========================
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: possible ignition module failure...?

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

You are correct. However it could still be disty as I believe they will fire up when cold but will crap out after reaching operating temperature?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

Well apparently the car wont fire up at all... hmmm...
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

Any other ideas? I know I dont have a lot of information on the history of the car, but does this seem at all like an easy fix or should i simply walk away?

My buddy also told me to crank the car for a bit, pull out a spark plug and see if its wet with fuel to determine if the issue lies in the fuel system. Would this be a good way to possibly rule out an ignition module (a la distributor) failure?

Thanks
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
davmac

Post by davmac »

Simple tests:
Make sure the timing belt didn't break. Pull off the distributor cap w/o disturbing the wires. Crank the engine and see if the rotor spins.

Test that the fuel pump is working. Connect GND and F/P with a jumper in the diagnostic box. Turn the ignition to on position but do not start the car. Listen for the fuel pump. You should be able to hear it running.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”