Replace Fuel Lines

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jutzi420

Replace Fuel Lines

Post by Jutzi420 »

I've had a nasty drip on one of my fuel lines under the car for a while now, and I've finally got around to doing something about it.

I'm balls-deep in the swap out now, I've got the tank dropped, all the clips under the car removed, the battery is out, fuel filter gone, and return line in the engine bay disconnected.

Trouble is, I'm not sure of the best way to move forward at this point, seems I might have to do something with the front driver's side axle. Also, I couldn't find anything in the online manual that details the procedure, or even the components of the system. Maybe I'm blind, it's happened before.

So, does anyone out there who's tried this ridiculous repair themselves have any suggestions?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Replace Fuel Lines

Post by Mooneggs »

Did you try checking the online manual for diagrams and how it's connected?
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Jutzi420 wrote:Also, I couldn't find anything in the online manual that details the procedure, or even the components of the system. Maybe I'm blind, it's happened before.
Couldn't find anything.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I don't normally do this but...

*bump*

I'm about ready to set her on fire and get a drink.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I can relate, I'm so frustrated with my cars right now... but don't do anything you might regret... :? It's a good thing there were no babies around last weekend because I promise I would have punched one :x

I've never done this before or remember reading anywhere that someone replaced the fuel lines. I looked through the manual too and it doesn't appear this is covered anywhere (which seems strange to me).

So you've dropped the tank and disconnected the system and removed all the fuel lines from under the car? Where exactly are you stuck? Don't the fuel lines just run up the firewall to wear the hoses run to the fuel filter and fuel rails?

Do you have a donor car that you are getting replacement lines or are you able to buy generic ones?

Why would you need to remove the axle?

Do you have any pics of what you are stuck on?
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I've got new lines from Mazda, all pre-bent. The hard part is at the front of the car where they go up into the engine bay. They run between the fire wall and the driver side steering linkage, if you take off the front driver's side tire you can see the fuel and brake lines running in the gap. it's maybe 3/4 inch. There's more crap and rusted bolts in the way to try and get than one section free than it's worth in my opinion.

I got the car back into rolling-shape and I'm towing it to the dealer on Monday. I knew it was gonna be tough, but it was more hassle than it was worth.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I know it's too late now, but next time, try replacing stuff in sections, and take pictures before you take it apart.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I had considered leaving the lines as is in the engine bay and joining them under the car, but there was absolutely no clean rust-free tubing under the car that I could make a solid connection with.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I was under my car today and I see exactly what you are talking about with all the power steering rack and such in the way... it's almost like you would have to drop the entire front subframe to do this job right! :o
Lori Carlyle
antispam: No

Post by Lori Carlyle »

Mine will need doing soon, but I do have a car I'm stripping..

When I strip the front end, Do you want me to take pics of everything? if you guys wanted to write a howtoo?

I'm not technicaly minded enough (yet) to know what parts i'm taking the pics of (unless it's so stupidly simple a 5yr old could do it) but I can upload all the images for you to take a peak over.

(the car will be upside down when I strip the bottom end) - I have no ramps.. just a fork lift :)
Owner of the UK MX3 site.
davmac

Post by davmac »

Damn a fork lift would be a nice tool to have. Does it have a way of locking when you lift something?
Anyway the way forward with the fuel lines is to cut, add unions and flare. It is kinda sad to cut the beautiful pre-bent factory lines, but I can see how they might not be usable without removing too much stuff that might be in the way. When I have to replace fuel or brake hard lines I’m going to try to use the cunifer tubing and the 007 flare tool offered at this site. That assumes my car is still in good enough shape body wise that it would be worth the hassle of replacing rotten brake or fuel lines. Anyway the cunifer tubing looks so easy to work with given you can bend it with your hands into nearly any shape needed without kinking.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Lori Carlyle
antispam: No

Post by Lori Carlyle »

lol yes it does, but it's also needed elseware so I was just going to use it to flip the car over :)
Owner of the UK MX3 site.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”