front end rattling

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
iso221
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

front end rattling

Post by iso221 »

hey im new to the mx3 world used to be a honda guy but no longer i just baught a 1992 mx3 4cyl 5spd and the front rattles around like crazy im thinking about changing the wheel hubs and bearings anyone else out there experienced in the mx3 field have any other suggestions on how to make my front end tight again and rattle free?
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: front end rattling

Post by mikeinaus »

rattle can be alot of things. check your tie rods, ball joints, sway bar end links, control arm bushings and strut mount bearings. one or more of those is probably your problem.
iso221
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by iso221 »

do you know of any aftermarket parts for a 1992 mx3 1.6L i pretty much just baught it and im interested in some power and fixing the rattling like i said it goes away on he highway but reg roads it rattles i saw moog had all those parts you listed also could it be bushings like i said im new to mazdas a whole new and exciting experience def a mazda believer
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

jack up the car and take off the front wheels. from there you should be able to tell what needs to be replaced. the tie rods are on top and connect near the caliper. the ball joints are going to be under the wheel hub and the end links are in the middle of the control arm attached to the sway bar. if there is alot of play in any of these, or the rubber boots are cracked you should replace them. my car was also loose and made alot of rattling when i bought it and i ended up replacing all 3 parts which helped alot. my strut mount bearings still need to be replaced but there not that bad yet.

if you change your ball joints make sure you bring your old part to the store with you to compare. they switched the design to a bigger ball half way threw 93 and most parts stores dont know the difference.

your bushings are probably fine as there usually pretty durable.

as for performance your going to want to search in the 4 cylinder section of the forum. i dont know anything about the 4 bangers but i dont think theres much you can do short of a motor swap to a bp/bpt

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”