slave cylinder exploded!! really need help asap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

slave cylinder exploded!! really need help asap

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok so I bled the cylinder...my clutch is ok..it was the freaking slave cylinder... little by little it slopped working..everytime i would open the clutch i guess it wasnt opening right..it got to a point where it just wouldnt open..had to start the car in 1st gear and go from there floating gears all the way to home... now i dont know why this crap blew..i opened the hood...i noticed clutch lost all pressure and i see the freaking piston hanging there and no rod..wth!!! so my main question is can i use a probe gt manual tranny slave or does it have to be an mx3 slave. i desperetally need this info guys please anyone help!!! i need this car back at least opening the clutch so that i can drive it to the mechanic and i cant tow it :x :cry: :cry: :cry: i dont know if it busted becase the plutch just wast opening and it was being forced but yeah its busted and i need a new one. also what may have happened is that pressure plate busted leaving the cluth fork open and possibly screwed and the cylinder was open so it broke down.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

yes you should be able to use a probe slave cylinder. I doubt your pressure plate broke though. If anything you broke the throw out bearing.
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

if the piston came out all the way you most likely need a clutch and pressure plate throw out bearing replacement,it had to be overextending because of something wasted inside,you mite get away with putting the slave cyl bac together.also change the pilot bearing if you do the clutch :(
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

actually the fork is loose argh..so that screaching noise was the pressureplate hitting the fork? the fork is loose thats why the slave opened all the way. its going to the shop thursday .. in case the fork is broken... where can i get one? what cars fit?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

oh by the way cant find the clutch fork anywhere...
-hec

georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

squealing? sounds like maybe the throwout bearing was going to hell... I had one do the same thing... the squeal would have turned into a roar or grind just before failure though... If it gets that far, its fun to get the MELTED throwout bearing out of there without damaging crap.. if your slave cylinder went bad, then there should be fluid leakage from the seal area. if the fork is free moving throughout its WHOLE throw, then you may have broken the throwout bearing, or possibly have a pressure plate issue. However, if the pressure plate were faulty, then you probably wouldnt have enough clamping pressure from it to drive the clutch to turn the transmission under load. start by looking for a leak from the slave. if none, then pull the boot from around the fork and look inside and see what you can. if you dont know what to look for then get a mechanic that does. and one other thing... if the piston was dangling, then you've got other issues.. if the pushrod was dangling, then follow the above instructions... the piston is housed inside of the slave cylinder. if there were not TWO 12mm bolts holding it FIRMLY onto the transmission casing, then there would be your problem. the remedy? make sure the threads arent ripped out of the casing first, and then replace the bolts and secure firmly. good luck!

dan
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I bought a new slave cylinder..yes its the trow out bearing that died..the fork is hanging there i can almost pull it out but of course cant because the shape of the fork, i looked inside and it appears yes the bearing is gone..also with my fingers i felt the fork..i HOPE that isnt broken.. since i cant find it anywhere.. What happen basically ius that the idiots that fixed the engine and probably justr replaced clutch and not bearing. Its getting hauled to the shop tomorrow. ALso slave cylinder did not come with the rod which fell out in the streen and ill never get back. Ill ask the shop if they can do it for me. but yes its the bearing that just basically broke appart. The clutch wasnt slipping i already orderd new clutch kit which gets here today.
-hec

georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

I doubt you broke the fork, but if you do need it, let me know. email me at georgechicken @ yahoo.com and i have a spare i can get to you.. good luck!
dan
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yes yes that would be of great help! ill stop by the shop to make sure tomorrow.
-hec

valentiner
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re:

Post by valentiner »

hgallegos915 wrote:yes yes that would be of great help! ill stop by the shop to make sure tomorrow.
Please post followup for this thread...
'93 MX-3 GS SE w/236k miles, now 260k.
hgallegos915

Re: slave cylinder exploded!! really need help asap

Post by hgallegos915 »

WOW this thread is from 2005 LOL I cant believe ive had my mx3 for so long LOL

I ended up replacing the slave cylinder and that fixed the problem. :)
-hec

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”