I am swapping a K8-ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeetown
antispam: No

I am swapping a K8-ZE

Post by mikeetown »

Hello, haven't been here for a while. Anyway, I've been fixing rust on my mx-3, just lowered it 1 inch with ei-bach springs and kochiko struts and now, i'm going to throw a K8-ZE into my 1992 MX-3. I just want to know if anyone has ever converted OBD-I to OBD-II before and know some details. Also, I want to know if anyone has a connection of getting a 1997 and up MX-3 ECU so i can get the max potential out of the engine. I bought the K8-ZE from Calgary for 200$. I"m rebuilding it and putting it in the car in a month. My K8-DE has been over heated a few times so i went this route.

I will take pictures too.

Any ideas for making air-intake on the straight manifold??
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
Nd4SpdSe

Re: I am swapping a K8-ZE

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

People go OBDII to ODBI, but never the other way.

Why would you spend the time and money on a K8 and now throw in a KL instead?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

cause the k8 was cheap (200$), in my town, and the rebuild kit is 200$. I dont know if id be getting a klde with 200,000 km plus or not. Also, i rev to 7 all the time for a good couple hours on roads around here and was told that its not reliable enough for me by my friend.

Aside from that, i'm doing it and its my first swap so kl next time.
mikeetown
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Well if you are swapping because your engine blew its a good deal, if its just for performance, the extra 5 - 10 horses are worthless.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

mikeetown wrote:ei-bach springs and kochiko struts
LOL!! Are these like mexi-struts?

Just so you know, a new harness and ecu > $ and more hours of work than a KL. This sounds like a really bad move. You should sell the k8ze and do it right.
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

the struts and spring work fine so lol whatever right..... But yes it is a pain probably to do a harness swap?? i'm guessing I need an OBD II harness then... Well, I have all this stuff anyway but no ECU from a 97 mx-3. If i pretty much have everything i might as well just do the swap. My engine is gonna crap out any day now in the next 2 months. I use like 1 litre of oil a week. Also, i'm not a drag race kinda guy. I like to drive the passes around my area and thats all.

So, does anyone know if the integra/civic cold air intake from a 1990 - 1992 will work on a straight kneck intake?? I know it works on the bent k8-de engine?? I tried finding info on this.
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

lol i guess i can just make a cold air intake from scratch. Its not like its hard right. Also, how reliable are k8 engine water pumps and oil pumps???????? I will probably buy a new water pump.
mikeetown

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”