Studdering And Shaking

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Letters11
antispam: No

Studdering And Shaking

Post by Letters11 »

Hey all. When I m driving, sometimes my car spudders when i am driving slower in a gear. Maybe 15 mph in 2nd, 22-27 in 3rd, and so on. Also it does it when im idleing as well. Almost like im missing a cylinder. It happened a while ago and i changed the plugs and wires and it went away but now its back. I changed the valve cover gasket a coupple weeks ago and put new plugs in at the same time. Oil just changed the other day. I have no idea what this is and it doesnt seem too good for my car. Its fine once i get going but the slower i go in the gear the worse it is. I was thinking it could have something to do with the fuel system? Maybe a full tune up? Cap, rotor, filters? Thank You!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Studdering And Shaking

Post by fowljesse »

A full tune-up wouldn't hurt. Or at least check everything out.
Check the codes, and see if there's something there. What rpm does it idle at?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

fowljesse wrote:A full tune-up wouldn't hurt. Or at least check everything out.
Check the codes, and see if there's something there. What rpm does it idle at?
I have no CEL, i didnt know i could pull codes without a light?? hmm. It idles around 1.5k give or take a little.thanks
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

check for a vacuum leak. 1500 is way too high, my car idles a little over 600. what motor are you using?

how to check codes: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... w=previous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

mikeinaus wrote:check for a vacuum leak. 1500 is way too high, my car idles a little over 600. what motor are you using?

how to check codes: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... w=previous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maybe im making a mistake with those numbers then. I will check when i go out and post back up later. thanks
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

I was way off..i have a 1.6 manual trans. right when i start the car it idles at around 800 and when at normal operating temp ts about 600. I also tried to pull the codes. The check engine light came on in the beginning and then went off and stayed off which i thought meant there were no code stored??? Also, my accordian looking thing on my intake is pretty cracked or dry rotted in between each bump, maybe im sucking in too much air. Also, when i put my ear and hand on my airbox, it sounds and feels like a banging noise every second or so, non stop. I have no clue what this is. Thanks in advance.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Letters11 wrote:Also, my accordian looking thing on my intake is pretty cracked or dry rotted in between each bump, maybe im sucking in too much air.
That is a very common problem.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It's CAI time. If you can't make one, you could take off the intake tube, clean it well, and silicone it between the ribs.
The ECU will store some codes after the light goes off. It seems that some problems don't show up on the CEL, or do, and go away without being noticed.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

yes i sprayed some carb cleaner on the outside of the tubing where it looked cracked and i didnt notice any revving. I had my air conditioning on today when i was waiting at a light and it seemed like it was missing a cylinder every second. It was really bad, almost like my car wanted to stall. The rpms didnt move at all though. I have been looking at intakes as well but im too confused on where i would be putting the air hoses onto the intake tube (2 up by the valve cover, and the one under the airbox). Im trying to figure it out and then ill order an intake! I was thinking it could be my wires, this happened in my previous car but it didnt make sense to me that it does it even more when my air is on so i thought i could rule out wires. Thanks for all the help thus far.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Letters11 wrote:yes i sprayed some carb cleaner on the outside of the tubing where it looked cracked and i didnt notice any revving. I had my air conditioning on today when i was waiting at a light and it seemed like it was missing a cylinder every second. It was really bad, almost like my car wanted to stall. The rpms didnt move at all though. I have been looking at intakes as well but im too confused on where i would be putting the air hoses onto the intake tube (2 up by the valve cover, and the one under the airbox). Im trying to figure it out and then ill order an intake! I was thinking it could be my wires, this happened in my previous car but it didnt make sense to me that it does it even more when my air is on so i thought i could rule out wires. Thanks for all the help thus far.
Fix or replace your rubber intake boot, end of story. Do not post anymore questions about this particular problem until you have done so.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

umcamara wrote:
Letters11 wrote:yes i sprayed some carb cleaner on the outside of the tubing where it looked cracked and i didnt notice any revving. I had my air conditioning on today when i was waiting at a light and it seemed like it was missing a cylinder every second. It was really bad, almost like my car wanted to stall. The rpms didnt move at all though. I have been looking at intakes as well but im too confused on where i would be putting the air hoses onto the intake tube (2 up by the valve cover, and the one under the airbox). Im trying to figure it out and then ill order an intake! I was thinking it could be my wires, this happened in my previous car but it didnt make sense to me that it does it even more when my air is on so i thought i could rule out wires. Thanks for all the help thus far.
Fix or replace your rubber intake boot, end of story. Do not post anymore questions about this particular problem until you have done so.
well considering someone told me about a cold air intake, and then someone else told me about the stock rubber, o yea and a vaccuum leak, i figured since people suggested these problems I could try to narrow it down. I didnt know it was such a big deal. I thought these forums were supposed to help people in my situations? My apologies for my concerns.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

try covering the plastic intake in duct tape. that should fix it until you can get a new one. or atleast let you know if thats your problem. try spraying the carb cleaner while the car is having the problems to see if it affects it. the cracks might not become a problem until the car is warm and the plastic expands causing a leak.
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

mikeinaus wrote:try covering the plastic intake in duct tape. that should fix it until you can get a new one. or atleast let you know if thats your problem. try spraying the carb cleaner while the car is having the problems to see if it affects it. the cracks might not become a problem until the car is warm and the plastic expands causing a leak.
ok great, ill try that. thanks so much.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”