Another go at installing Z3 Fenders.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
jkbreazeale

Another go at installing Z3 Fenders.

Post by jkbreazeale »

So last time I did this... I just cut into my stock fenders and installed the vents and just took my losses. I've bought the duraflex z3 fenders. No holes, requires cutting and drilling. I've really never messed with fiberglass before. Can I use a dremel to cut the excess material without it cracking? Same with drilling the holes. I'm probably going to do a test fit today just to see where I need to start. I feel that I can do this project myself, however with the lack of knowledge on cutting fiberglass, I was wondering if it was best to just pay the labor and get a shop to install them.

Thanks,

Keith
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Another go at installing Z3 Fenders.

Post by Daninski »

Lots of info on cutting fiberglass if you Google. The only comment I want to make is make sure you wear a particulate mask and buy a good one not one of those cheap paper ones,,,at least a paper one with a built in exhalation valve. Control the dust and for gods sake you shouldn't do this in your house. I prefer epoxy over polyester resin, it dries slower and is a lot stronger. Good Luck
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

So here it is.

The driver side went on without a problem. Almost no modification needed. Passenger side was a nightmare. Wasn't even the same cut. There is some slight gapping issues, but still looks pretty good nonetheless.

1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

your gonna need a bigger pic then that. looks good from what i can see.
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

mikeinaus wrote:your gonna need a bigger pic then that. looks good from what i can see.

There! Happy!!! :)
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

Ya post some bigger pics of the mounting if you can, Im interested in getting a set myself to replace the one that got smashed last winter so Im really curious how the fitment looks up close.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

looks good, alot better then your first attempt. i always thought these would look good on the mx3
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Sleeper6 wrote:Ya post some bigger pics of the mounting if you can, Im interested in getting a set myself to replace the one that got smashed last winter so Im really curious how the fitment looks up close.
Well, I have temporary mounted them... I don't have long enough bolts. The stock bolts aren't long enough to go through the fiberglass because the fiberglass is not flush to the metal. The fenders that I purchased were off of ebay and they were the Extreme Dimensions brand. The driver side went on without a problem whatsoever, however the passenger side seemed like a totally different cut. Once I get some longer bolts, I will post the final product.
mikeinaus wrote:looks good, alot better then your first attempt. i always thought these would look good on the mx3
Yeah, I was young and dumb...
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

They look good. I haven't seen someone put those on for a few years. I've thought about putting them on for the weight savings. They look alot more natural on MX-3s than an almost any car. It would take a little more work, but they could be functional, which would be good for the V6's.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

fowljesse wrote:They look good. I haven't seen someone put those on for a few years.
Yeah, cause they cost an arm and a leg! :x God knows I've thought about it.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

They've come down in price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-199 ... ccessories

That is similar to the buyer I got it from. To make them functional, you have to cut into the metal behind the fender. I thought about it, I may do it later. The install is nowhere near as hard as people made it out to be. This was a first time thing for me and I had them installed in about 1.5 hours. It is always better to undercut than it is to overcut :)
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

fowljesse wrote:They look good. I haven't seen someone put those on for a few years. I've thought about putting them on for the weight savings. They look alot more natural on MX-3s than an almost any car. It would take a little more work, but they could be functional, which would be good for the V6's.
Oh and the weight savings... they are about half the weight of the stock fenders. The stock fenders are pretty light already though. I wasn't able to put the black plastic back into the new fenders and so far it doesn't look like I will be able to do the mud guards either... not saying that I won't try though!!!
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

jkbreazeale wrote:
fowljesse wrote:They look good. I haven't seen someone put those on for a few years. I've thought about putting them on for the weight savings. They look alot more natural on MX-3s than an almost any car. It would take a little more work, but they could be functional, which would be good for the V6's.
Oh and the weight savings... they are about half the weight of the stock fenders. The stock fenders are pretty light already though. I wasn't able to put the black plastic back into the new fenders and so far it doesn't look like I will be able to do the mud guards either... not saying that I won't try though!!!

yeah yeah thread revival

i like the reduction in weight though. Minimal but a reduction. I think with my MS front and the pakfieter hood (if i can get it from a certain member) it would fit in on my already wacky styling on my MX3. years ago no but today they are kinda growing on me.

I also like that fact that they COULD actually be functional. Has anyone done it? like used the vents to actually cool down engine temps? maybe just cut the frame a bit?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

I always saw these more as a solution like the fender caps on the dodge daytonas and superbees to relieve air pressure in the wheel well,
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Sleeper6 wrote:I always saw these more as a solution like the fender caps on the dodge daytonas and superbees to relieve air pressure in the wheel well,
To relieve air pressure in the wheel well :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry but I couldn't stop laughing at that. No it's not for relieving pressure in the wheel wells.
Dodge Daytona had fender caps on top cause that's where top of the fender was actually cut. If you removed those caps there would be holes in the fender to allow for the tire to travel up higher during cornering at high speeds.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Appearance”