Occasionally doesn't accelerate for a few seconds. Scary

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kstarb123
antispam: No

Occasionally doesn't accelerate for a few seconds. Scary

Post by kstarb123 »

Hi, I have a strange problem with my car. When the car is first started and I pull away, the car accelerates normally. When the car is at normal temperature it also accelerates normally, but just after starting, as the car is warming up, sometimes when I go to pull away, there is no acceleration for a few seconds, then the car accelerates normally. Pretty scary if pulling out into traffic. The car is automatic. Does anyone have any idea what could casue this issue please. Thanks in advance.
killaPANDA
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Occasionally doesn't accelerate for a few seconds. Scary

Post by killaPANDA »

hmmm maybe a bad fuel pump or injectors. have you checked them yet?
kstarb123

Post by kstarb123 »

Hi and no, all I've checked is the throttle position sensor which is ok and adjusted ok. Being as the cars fine once warm, or when cold (first started, fast idle), I thought that they might be ok. I was wondering if theres some sort of inlet air temperature sensor or water temp sensor that could be out, or something, so the car thinks its warmed up, when its not warm enough. Does anyone know what the fast idle should be, or if theres any way to adjust it. As I'm typing this I think "Perhaps I should spend a bit on cash and get it plugged into a diagnostic tester"
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm not sure why you think this would have anything to do with your idle.

I would just say your transmission is slipping. Do the RPM's rise as theyy normally would, but the car not accelerate as it normally would?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
BlazeSquall

Post by BlazeSquall »

My car does this to sometimes. Mostly in colder weather. In my case it's because of the ECU attempting to correct the idle when it cannot sense the temp of the engine due to the bad CTS. It literally won't let you rev up the engine until it 'decides' it's done adjusting. Sometimes this happens right when I put it into first and then I almost stall out trying to go.
96chris

Post by 96chris »

i have the same problem too with my 96 rs, but standard. right now i am in the process in doing the head gasket valve seals intake gasket ect ect... and changing plugs wires fuel filter air filter.. i was in need of most, but not too sure if any at all are cause of the problem.. will update when car is back on the road
96 RS DOHC
-lowered
-glow gauges

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”