Best paint stripper ?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
EggyRollz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Best paint stripper ?

Post by EggyRollz »

I dont want to sand down 5+ layers of paint & primer. This car has been spray painted to hell and back.

What is the best paint stripper you guys have come across ?

I have used Jasco before but that stuff just destroys everything it touches.
94 Tahoe Sport SS - 454 =)
93 3KGT VR4 - K&N Filter.Proxes 4 Tires. Drilled/Slotted Rotors.
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
Feedback-viewtopic.php?f=37&t=74259
For Sale-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74832
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Best paint stripper ?

Post by Daninski »

Anything with Methylene Chloride in it. You need to control where your applying it for sure or your rubber parts will be gone. Bowman's Decal Remover is good but as with most strippers you can only do one layer at a time. the advantage is leave the last layer to sanding so you don't ruin the body filler underneath. I did hear of one recently that is sold in Retail stores that's suppose to be able to strip multiply layers.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Methyl Ethyl Ketone
If it kills your brain, it will work great!!!!!!!!!!!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

MEK will work the problem is it flashes off so fast it doesn't get much time to work. Any ya the brain cell issue. As with any product like these you must wear a respirator with an organic cartridge filter (black).
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
EggyRollz

Post by EggyRollz »

MEK sucks =P I use the stuff at work and it evaporates almost instantly.

Also most of the rubber is trashed of the purple car anyways from sitting outside god knows how long. I want something I can put on , leave on and come back an 30 - 45 minutes later and scrape off. Kind of like jasco but not so harsh.

If I end up going down to bare metal then so be it. I have a booth and air tools & guns at work and I can just pick up some industrial primer & repaint. I also would like to use something enviroment friendly =)
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

this is good paint stripper
http://dadseasyspray.com/index.php?p=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As ALWAYS use safety glasses and rubber gloves when using paint stripper. Remove/mask off any parts that are near area you're working with.
Also you can buy a gallon of paint stripper at local hardware store, it'll work just fine
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
EggyRollz

Post by EggyRollz »

I tried a small can of LOWES paint stripper and it took off like half a layer lol. I think i'll need something stronger than just a plain jane stripper.

Also I don't know if this matters or not but it seems the car was originally black then red , red , something grayish , a primer coat and the final purple its in now. I scraped a bunch off with a putty knife to see what I would be combating and thats a lot of paint =(

I thought auto-restore places sanded before doing a new coat of paints or is that not always the case ?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

did you let paint stripper work? Have to remember to let it sit for 10+ mins so it works. It might not strip all of paint in one application, have to apply 2nd or 3rd time
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
EggyRollz

Post by EggyRollz »

mitmaks wrote:did you let paint stripper work? Have to remember to let it sit for 10+ mins so it works. It might not strip all of paint in one application, have to apply 2nd or 3rd time
Sat for about 15 or so and barely took anything off and left a goo layer behind.
Would glass beading the whole car make it easier ? lol.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

this is probably one of the strongest products, if it doesn't work for you, you must be doing something wrong
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

i used a aircraft remover on my crashed white one's engine bay and it worked great, the brand was tal stip. i will be buying some again here in a couple of week's to repaint my new white mx3.
1993 White gs klze.
EggyRollz

Post by EggyRollz »

The main reason conventional strippers won't work I believe is because the paint is on there ( through the years & layering ) about as thick as a quarter.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

tal strip is cats a-- that stuff will eat right through paint, I highly recommend it.

Return to “Appearance”