'Failmatic' Transmission problem...

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
jkbreazeale

'Failmatic' Transmission problem...

Post by jkbreazeale »

On my 95 B6, the idle bucks at a stop light when the a/c is on. When, I drop the car into neutral, it stops bucking and idle picks up. Since our automatic transmissions are electronic, could a weak alternator be the culprit? I've tried doing some research on the forums but everything that I have tried does not seem to help.

Open to all suggestions (except swapping the car to a manual :) )

Thanks,
Keith
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
EggyRollz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: 'Failmatic' Transmission problem...

Post by EggyRollz »

Possible. Checking for a weak alternator is easy. Drive at night with your lights on and use your turn signal and see if the lights fade/illuminate with the signal. If so chances could be its a little weaker than new but still working obviously.

Hope that can help you.
94 Tahoe Sport SS - 454 =)
93 3KGT VR4 - K&N Filter.Proxes 4 Tires. Drilled/Slotted Rotors.
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
Feedback-viewtopic.php?f=37&t=74259
For Sale-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74832
Newfie_dan

Re: 'Failmatic' Transmission problem...

Post by Newfie_dan »

Check the battery and alternator, disconnect the negative cable with the car running, if it dies then the alternator is what is keeping the car alive, replace the battery. Buy a cheap voltmeter, with the car running in P you should be seeing about 14.2 volts at idle, also if there is any corrosion on the battery posts clean it off and then wash then with water and baking soda mix with a small wire brush to get it all nice and clean.

Return to “Transmissions”