New proud owner! steering wheel cover issue

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Nickynoodles
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

New proud owner! steering wheel cover issue

Post by Nickynoodles »

Hi all!

I am the proud new owner of a 1995 MX3 in red, she needs some attention to bring her back up to original beauty. My question is about the steering wheel. I dont want to replace the whole wheel, just the cover, does anyone know where to source one, and should I try to remove the original stitched cover?

Cheers Nicky x
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: New proud owner! steering wheel cover issue

Post by fowljesse »

Welcome to the forum!
I'd like to see pics in a worklog :)
You must have a leather covered wheel, if you can remove the stitches. That's cool. They're hard to find, and chances are that you won't find another one, and if you do, it'll be a long time. I've been looking for one for years. However, you can rewrap yours pretty easily, if you're handy. I have made them before, without a pattern. You have a pattern, if you carefully cut the stitching. You'd just lay the pattern over Deerskin, or some other thin, supple leather, and cut it out. Then lay it, and tie it onto your wheel with simple string around the outside, to keep it in place. Then, learn the "BaseBall" stitch, by looking at it while you're cutting, and unravelling it. Then get some good string, and stitch it up. You'll want it to be really tight, so if it overlaps, you'll need to trim it. For the part where you sew it together to go around the circumference, and it meets at the bottom of the wheel, you can pull it tight on the wheel, measure where it meets, and sew it together on a machine, or by hand, with the stitch hidden on the inside. If I don't get a leather wheel soon, I'll wrap mine, and post up a how-to. I've done shift knobs, and handbrakes, etc... too, and will be doing mine.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nickynoodles

Post by Nickynoodles »

Oh thats a fantastic idea, mind you, I might wait to see how yours goes first!!! :wink: I am in the process of making a list of all the little things that need doing, but I am so happy I could burst lol. I have wanted an MX3 for years and now, I am hardly at home. :D
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'd like to see interior pics. I like your enthusiasm :)
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Jesse, why couldn't (s)he just get one off the forum?

edited for political correctness
Last edited by Ryan on May 24th, 2010, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nickynoodles

Post by Nickynoodles »

He? :?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Replacing the steering wheel isn't hard, just need a screw drivers and a socket. The only fun part is wiggling the wheel of the column and how it likes to just suddenly gives way and you fly back into the seat and smack your face with the wheel, lol.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thats why you leave the nut on a few threads... so you don't get a steering wheel imprint on your face :)

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Nickynoodles wrote: I dont want to replace the whole wheel, just the cover, does anyone know where to source one, and should I try to remove the original stitched cover?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

But Jesse, you have to ask deeper...

I want to change my tires without removing the rim from the spindle

Now, tell me how I'd do that.

Its not expensive to replace the whole wheel, in fact, its cheaper if you value your time at all. I betcha (s)he could get one from one of us for <$20.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have been waiting for a leather steering wheel for years now, and when they come up, they're out of my price range.
Alright, Nicky, you'll have to post a pic of yourself, and clear this gender thing up :)
So, I'm assuming you want the leather wheel. If not, then you can get a regular one easily, and cheaply here.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

fowljesse wrote:Welcome to the forum!
I'd like to see pics in a worklog :)
You must have a leather covered wheel, if you can remove the stitches. That's cool. They're hard to find, and chances are that you won't find another one, and if you do, it'll be a long time. I've been looking for one for years. However, you can rewrap yours pretty easily, if you're handy. I have made them before, without a pattern. You have a pattern, if you carefully cut the stitching. You'd just lay the pattern over Deerskin, or some other thin, supple leather, and cut it out. Then lay it, and tie it onto your wheel with simple string around the outside, to keep it in place. Then, learn the "BaseBall" stitch, by looking at it while you're cutting, and unravelling it. Then get some good string, and stitch it up. You'll want it to be really tight, so if it overlaps, you'll need to trim it. For the part where you sew it together to go around the circumference, and it meets at the bottom of the wheel, you can pull it tight on the wheel, measure where it meets, and sew it together on a machine, or by hand, with the stitch hidden on the inside. If I don't get a leather wheel soon, I'll wrap mine, and post up a how-to. I've done shift knobs, and handbrakes, etc... too, and will be doing mine.
I'd love to do the shift knob and handbrake, maybe the steering wheel if I don't decide to replace it. If you have a how-to or know of any, please PM it to me! =)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”