Need advice on tricky engine removal

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
daryl

Need advice on tricky engine removal

Post by daryl »

I've the car on medium sized axel stands in my home garage, with all the front suspension components already removed and sent off to be blasted and painted.

Only I now need to remove the bloody engine, its too high to lift out, got any ideas?

Remove front bumper, rad, rad support, drop gearbox down and slide the engine out the gap? Is this possible???
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Need advice on tricky engine removal

Post by Daninski »

Just use a lift that can handle the height, most can. I lifted and reinstalled with no problems except I did have the rad removed. Just be careful of the VRIS, they come really close to the firewall. I suggest two people, one to control the cheery picker and the other to guide and watch the engine. Go slow and keep stopping to check for clearances. Use a light to be sure. Enjoy.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
daryl

Post by daryl »

No can do the garage roof is too low to lift over the bonnet.
Done 3 KLZE engine swaps, and usually hoist out the top but this one is tricky.

Just want to know what will remove from the front, and If I can fit the engine out that way?

I can lift it a bit but not much at all....
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

The rad support is welded in, no way to completely open the front without cutting/welding.

Lower the car onto some sort of wheel dolly or a caster invention, and roll it out of the garage.

Or, pick up the car by the lower crossmember with the hoist (and a long chain), roll it back that way, put it back down on stands, remove engine, pull back in same way.

OR, jack the car up as high as possible using the engine hoist and try dropping it out the bottom. Drops out the bottom are usually easier.

remove front and rear mounts, and crossmember. loosen off side mounts. Raise engine just to take the stress off the side mounts, remove bolts, and then lower engine into a tire on the ground. Let it go, and then raise the car using the hoist, and wiggle the motor out the side or bottom. You should actually be able to man handle the car without the motor in it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Use a jack dolly ad support the car by the fron jack point. Lower it right down then hoist in the motor. You can lay the car down on the floor as long as there's no wires or lines to get crushed then raise it once the motors in place. I would of done it out side it the roof is that low. I did an entire removal, rebuild and install in the winter, in the snow, up hill both ways once. No problem. Now stop whining and do the swap. Sheeez :P
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok I've pondered the idea you have of dropping the front end to install the engine and I just can't justify why you would put yourself through all that extra work. Drop the front of the car on the ground lift the engine over the front of the car then raise the car. Anything other than that is complete insanity. IMO
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

daryl

Post by daryl »

It was just a thought as I have a bodykit going on and new radiator going in anyway.

Its already got a KLZE in there by the way (done several ze swaps), I'm taking it out so I can re-paint some bits the same colour as my new paint colour (spraying the car you see) and so I can spray the engine bay.

There is no suspension at all, front and back at the moment (being powder coated) so its on 4 stands at the moment and not easy to move round, but I will figure it out.

I would have taken the engin out first, but at the begining I wasn't going to bother painting the engine bay. But now that I'm getting stuck in I want to do it right so the engine is now coming out.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

You could just wait til your powdercoated parts come back, reinstall them, then drop the car and pull the engine out...

I've thrown myself some curveballs before too but from my experience, it's always safer to just take your time and do things in such a way that you know will work 100%.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”