Modded xmember for turbo. with pics

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3autozam

Modded xmember for turbo. with pics

Post by mx3autozam »

hey peoples. Got alot done on my boost project but I am not very pleased with the fitment of the hot pipes from ebay. I know lots of people are using these things and modding the xmember is needed. But mine is just waaaay to low. The up pipe fits great, but my issue is the downpipe. It looks like it sits under the up pipe instead of beside it like it is suppose to i think. Its also really low and won't allow me to use my SRD crossmember that goes side to side.

The other thing you'll notice is that even the hangers don't line up and what the heck is the pipe have a bend so the oulet flange points up at the floor of my car. I am just curious to how the fitment of others pipes are. Pics would be great if you have. Thanks

93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
grimsby3
antispam: No

Re: Modded xmember for turbo. with pics

Post by grimsby3 »

looks nice man, keep it up! what's that distributor called? I've seen that style before, like the rectangular fitting for it and it looks badass :shock: :D
'95 MX-3 Precidia V6 1.8L, Sony Stereo Deck, 12" MTX Sub w/500 Watt Amp KLZE Swap In the Future!!
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Couple things, the exhaust fitment of the downpipe will not come close to bolting up to the MX3 exhaust. I've installed these pipes on probes and had the dp bolt right up so that issue is simply because they aren't made for an mx3.

As for the downpipe under the motor, it does sit under the up pipe and not next to it.

And for the horizontal xmember, I haven't had one on there in years, don't be worried.

I could probably snap a pic of my xmember at home, it's off the car sitting in the garage.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

That is kinda low. Can't you cut it with a saws all then tack it where you want it and have it rewelded. Depending on the actual material type heating and flattening the pipe some what could be an option as well to further increase ground clearance.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

hppwdn wrote:Couple things, the exhaust fitment of the downpipe will not come close to bolting up to the MX3 exhaust. I've installed these pipes on probes and had the dp bolt right up so that issue is simply because they aren't made for an mx3.

As for the downpipe under the motor, it does sit under the up pipe and not next to it.

And for the horizontal xmember, I haven't had one on there in years, don't be worried.

I could probably snap a pic of my xmember at home, it's off the car sitting in the garage.
Yes I understand they are designed for a Probe. But what gets me is that I had headers on tehre for a Mx6/Probe and have my exhaust setup modified for those. So I should be fitting up with these but obviously not for some reason. Either way I am going to take the car to an exhaust shop and have them move them up along side of the up pipe and then hook up to my exhaust, and also be able to run the SR crossmember

Could you please take a picture of your moded xmember an also your downpipe from under the car. Thanks
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I think I still ran my horizontal crossmember with the regular 2.5" downpipe, but when I went to 3" i stopped using it.

I can get you a pic of the crossmember, but not on the car. It's currently sitting with no engine or transmission in it awaiting bigger and better things.

I have to ZE swap someone else's car this weekend so I should have a chance to snap a pic in the garage.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

^^^^ You get pics man?
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”