TMP39 - MX-3 RS b6 - 2.5 klze

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
TMP39

Re: TMP39 - MX-3 RS b6 - 2.5 klze

Post by TMP39 »

well today i went down to hte machine shop and started work on my flywheel. weighed in at 16.95 lbs.
didnt manage to finish yet but hopfully i can take enough material off to get a decent weight after. haha if i even got it to 14lbs that would be nice. and its the stock flywheel. mind you when they do this to gm flywheels for street stocks they go form 23lbs down to 13 lbs. hmmmmmm

all these pics wer takin with my cell too so there not the greatest. and no it wasnt actually spinning that fast. my phone just makes it look taht way
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Or just buy a Fidanza or Aasco?

How much you payin for that?
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

solo_ryder wrote:Or just buy a Fidanza or Aasco?

How much you payin for that?
nothing actually. the guy in the one pic is a buddy of mine and he had some owrk on his block he wanted to do today too. and it was his idea lol. i was just goign to resurface it but figurd why not. its out and im not paying for it so...
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Hopefully it doesnt blow up... Or is unbalanced when you get it back...
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You should look up how much can be taken off. I don't remember, exactly, but guys were having them warp, or stress fracture, when they took more than a few pounds off. I hope it works out great, don't get me wrong, I hope it works great.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

fowljesse wrote:You should look up how much can be taken off. I don't remember, exactly, but guys were having them warp, or stress fracture, when they took more than a few pounds off. I hope it works out great, don't get me wrong, I hope it works great.
oh i know, its almost like turning brake rotors but its a flywheel. but the guy my buddy works with is helping us aswell and he usually does the flywheels that come in to get lightened but if it goes bad than fidanza it is or maybe act but dunno not really lookin to that point yet
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

14.5lbs. maybe less still have a little more to do. haha it hasnt even been resurfaced yet :P
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Just be careful. Many lightweight flywheels (aftermarket) are aluminum so they dissipate heat a lot better. Our stock flywheels aren't aluminum (maybe steel? alloy?) so they won't disperse the heat as well so when they heat up and cool, heat and cool, that's where you get the problems. Add some heat to a stress fracture on a thinner surface and you'll end up seeing the flywheel shatter. Just syain, it's a lot of work getting to the flywheel for replacement, and when they shatter, they can cause some serious damage to other components.

Try not to get too carried away ;). Good luck!
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

man great work with this car, looking awsome
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

k so i now have a 2.5l klze in my rs :P with the kl36 ecu kl31 cams and je 50 air flow sensor.
it was really so much easier than anyone says it is. i actually thougth it was going to be a nightmare but wow it was esay.

oh and just for fun i had some cutsom 5 bolt hubs made. needem em for the new rims :P tuckin 19's
haha just kidding. there my grandfathers Pontiac G8 GT rims. and i had some fun foolin my uncle with that too. but i needed to move the car back about 5 feet so we jacked up the front end and moved it back for more room.

new eibachs kybs and the rotorsd from nightshade on both sides.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Lookin' good so far!
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol: I felt like a dog with it's ears shooting up in attention when I read that you got axles made!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Sick job so far! I love the attention to detail and I love seeing fresh new parts in the wheel well. Do I see powdercoated hub assembly's? :)
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

nope, just paint. altho powder coating would be nice. but it can get pricey sometimes. but if need be il take em off again one day at work and repaint em
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It's impressive that you put the ZE ion an RS :welder:
I'd like to see that flywheel.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”