V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Need tips, new mazda mx3 GS

Post by Ryan »

shop labour is only $70/hr here....

I agree, sounds like a rip.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

almost all shops I encountered in alberta are a rip lol. I personally went around and tested them by messing up my vehicle on purpose and got several out to lunch diagnosis before I hit an honest shop out of some 20 shops I tested. He got all my work that I could not do myself and other people who wanted an honest mechanic. If you live in calgary his name is Dwight and runs a place called "our mechanic" on edmonton trail. You won't go wrong with him.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well a family friend not familiar with the car probably took more than a full day to do it. The fact that a family friend charged you that much would lead me to reduce my number of family friends by about 1.

If you need a hand or tips, I'm around. I'm pretty busy trying to get my own stuff done but if I can help I will. What part of Edmonton are you in?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

yea thats what they said it would be around but it cost them 700 for the core, they showed us the receipt from them ordering it, so i think that the place they had to order it from way over charged them and it took 4 days for it to finally arrive
Tollis

Post by Tollis »

That does seem like alot. Most things are easier than you think eBay a manual or something and do it yourself everyone on here is more than willing to help if you encounter a snag.
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

let me get this straight they charged you $700 for the heater core? Thats f**king nuts, its nowhere near that cost for the heater core unless they overnighted one from the middle of butt f**k nowhere.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

i just did a bit of googling and i found heatercores for the mx3 that go for around $100. getting them retail i can see costing upwards of $250 knowing the markup on other parts. $700 on the other hand sounds like a complete rip thow. its not like there made of gold or anything.

id highly suggest finding a cheaper mechanic. keep business and personal life separate. its never good to pay friends to do work for you unless there giving you a really good deal. its just better that way if something goes wrong.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

I can get them locally for anywhere between 60 to 85 bucks and thats without my discount.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I looked into this as well and here's what I've found. There are reproduction heater cores out there for $60 and up, but...there are 2 heater cores for the MX-3. 4cyl cores have both fittings stright and the 6cyl heater core (the one he bought) has one tube bent to match the routing of the hose. I called my delaer and in fact the gs heater core is $638 from my mazda dealer. I have not yet seen an aftermarket core with the bent fitting and I've been looking.

So the moral of the story is...if you need a new heater core either buy a cheap one and modify the fitting or remove your old one andd have it repaired at a rad shop.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

wytbishop wrote:Well a family friend not familiar with the car probably took more than a full day to do it. The fact that a family friend charged you that much would lead me to reduce my number of family friends by about 1.

If you need a hand or tips, I'm around. I'm pretty busy trying to get my own stuff done but if I can help I will. What part of Edmonton are you in?
i am in north east, the clareview area
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

nate if you need a chiltons manual I have one if you need one. check out my for sale thread in my signature.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”