Rotor/Brakepad replacement (first time)

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
92StockMx3

Rotor/Brakepad replacement (first time)

Post by 92StockMx3 »

Replacing the front rotors/pads on a 92RS, took off the caliper and cant seem to get the rotor to budge. It may be since they are the only rotors that have ever been on the car and the rust has welded it on there, but maybe its something im missing. Do the rotors just pull off or is there a screw some where that i cant find?
Also how do you get the pads off the two rails that hold them on?

Sorry for the probably very obvious answers, just trying to save a bunch of money doing it myself. Thank you for any help!
Mike
1992 Krylon White Mazda MX-3 RS. Cold Air Intake,17 inch Voxx rims with Toyo Proxez 4, Black Projectors, Black Taillights,Smoked Turn Signals.
1993 Brilliant Black Mazada MX-3 GS. KLZE, Short Shifter,
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Rotor/Brakepad replacement (first time)

Post by Tollis »

Not sure if there's anything else holding it. I'm a fairly new mx owner haven't changed brakes yet.
I don't imagine there's anything else with the wheel and caliper off should come. I often have to hit them a good few times with a hammer they sieze pretty bad up here in the land of snow and ice (and salt).

As for the pads might have to force them off with the rust but take some fine sandpaper to those sliders clean them up good and coat them in a quality brake grease or any pure synthetic lube grease. do the same to the pins (bolts) that hold the caliper on. Helps everything move freely and pads wear evenly
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
pirite
antispam: No

Post by pirite »

i did my rotors a couple weeks ago and mine were rusted on there as well. take a small round file and file right where the rotor and hub meet, get a torch and heat those suckers up and on top of that get a mallet, lots of hitting will be involved. as you're filing by the rotor and hub spray some break parts cleaner or something similar around that area to remove the rust that you've already filed off. keep at it, it took me a couple hours to get mine off.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

There is a large phillps head screw right in the front face of the rotor hat that goes into the hub but in many cases it has already been removed and you would definitely have noticed it if it was there. With that screw removed an air hammer is the best way to get them off. Without an air hammer a heavy manual hammer and lots of whacking is the next best thing.

When reinstalling the new rotors a THIN film of grease in the hub face will help prevent future whacking.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

BFH! :wink:

I'm in the process of doing this, too.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
92StockMx3

Post by 92StockMx3 »

So after Half a can of PB Blaster and and hour of wacking i got the rotor off :D. Now for the pads, i cant get the caliper apart to replace them the rails won't come out of the base side

I dont want to bend the rails prying it apart, but i am doing it correct right?
Thank you for the help!
Mike
1992 Krylon White Mazda MX-3 RS. Cold Air Intake,17 inch Voxx rims with Toyo Proxez 4, Black Projectors, Black Taillights,Smoked Turn Signals.
1993 Brilliant Black Mazada MX-3 GS. KLZE, Short Shifter,
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I am pretty sure those rails are pins that will slide out. I replaced the rotors and pads a couple years ago.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Edit, sorry, I made a bad assumption.
Last edited by Ryan on April 9th, 2010, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Apply anti seize compound to the pins, use a C clamp to push the piston back so when you put the new pads on the caliper will slip over the new rotors. Watch that you don't over flow the reservoir when you push the pistons back. Finally, the rule of thumb is buy good pads and cheap rotors never the other way around. I like to apply penetrate to the bleed screw then open it and allow some old fluid to bleed while replacing it in the reservoir.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

WHOA!!!

The front calipers are one piece! The entire caliper bolts to the mounting tabs on the spindle. The skinny little spring pins hold the rods that mount the pads. The rods may be seized in the caliper but on a pinch you can bend the springs to get them out. Then you can drive the rods out. With the rods out the pads will come out the top of the caliper. Then remove the caliper bolts and the caliper comes off.

You can remove the caliper with the pads in it but it will be easier to get the rods out while the caliper is rigidly supported.

If the caliper is starting to split where you drew that line onyour picture...it's broken. It's not supposed to come apart. At all.

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /P-033.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

lol i can't believe you were the first person to say that wyt. that's just crazy.

i think you should have a look at the shop manual, 92. nothin helps like a picture. fwiw, i always pull the caliper off before i touch the pads. i just find it easier since i can move stuff around. you should be able to get those slide pins out pretty easy just with a hammer and something skinny enough to fit through the holes in the caliper. there's not enough contact between the caliper and pins for them to get REALLY seized. hardware kit is less than 10 bucks so i wouldn't worry about trashing them
mrwhite

Post by mrwhite »

I was wondering if any of the member changed
There spindle nut when replacing their rotos?

On the autozone website it says u must replace the
Non reusable spindle nut when servicing rotors.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The spindle nut does not have to be removed to remove the rotor. The autozone procedures are very generalized and not always accurate for specific applications.

If you have already removed the nut and it isn't too badly damaged you can reuse it.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
mrwhite

Post by mrwhite »

Ok thanks. ..just was wondering
mrwhite

Post by mrwhite »

i purchased duralast semi pads today and valucraft rotors i had everything assembled ready to but up the calipar but , the calipar wont go back over the bracket where it bolts to..

does any one kno why that wud be?

i depressed the piston as much as it could go also if that helps

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”