is the v6 a interference engine

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xephorce

is the v6 a interference engine

Post by xephorce »

I have a 1993 mazda mx-3 v6. 1.8l i was told that the timing belt broke on it and i was trying to find out if it is a interference engine. I have been to the mazda dealership and they told me noi it was not but i went to order the timing belt kit from the local parts store and the kit said it is an interference type engine. the internet is even worse about information, i have been to many website and some say it is and some say it is not. the car is stock it has all the fancy option (moon roof, power windows, cruies control, ect)

thanks for the information
Evo_Spec

Re: is the v6 a interference engine

Post by Evo_Spec »

uhhh, i have no idea what your asking but here's a link to a timing belt for you car

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,5716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or a whole timing kit
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,5759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

so i did some research due to my inexperience and curiosity and this is what i came up with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_Engines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and found this on our very own forum
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=541127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so it sounds like the KL08 is not an interference engine, but obviously we have people here who can prove that better than I
xephorce

Post by xephorce »

what i am asking is. can the pistons damage the valves when the timing belt broke ie an interference engine
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Evo_Spec wrote: so it sounds like the KL08 is not an interference engine, but obviously we have people here who can prove that better than I
so not sure if you got back and read my 2nd post, but just to clarify, it seems the KL08 engine is NOT an interference engine, but again, you might want to wait for confirmation from other, more experienced members
xephorce

Post by xephorce »

thanks for the info. i hope everyone else tells me that same great news :D
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Spot on. It is non-interfence. Meaning that you are unlikely to have done any valve train damage. You can turn any cam with any piston at TDC and nothing happens. I have broken a cam at 5k+ and still limped back with no apparent damage to heads, valve train or pistons and that's with the higher comp klze pistons, and a severe head skim.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Once again, all K series engines are non interference. Same with B.

The only possible way to cause valvetrain damage with the breaking of the belt is if it happens when you're at 7.2K rpm and the valve floats onto a piston.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

thats a good question to ask. I used to play with Eclipses and Talons and those engines ARE interference engines, and those who don't know maintenance get PISSED. lol
what kind of car IS that?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

greenstorm wrote:thats a good question to ask. I used to play with Eclipses and Talons and those engines ARE interference engines, and those who don't know maintenance get PISSED. lol
and that's why we love our mx-3's :mrgreen:

I broke a timing belt at almost 6k and had no damage to my klze. thank you MAZDA for good engineering!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well it's not really engineered with the aim of being non-interferance. It's engineered with a specific shaped piston and combustion chamber to create a particular pattern of flame propegation during combustion and a bore to stroke ratio that creates a desireable torque curve. It's non-interferenceness is a happy byproduct of a long stroke/small bore torque monster.

Other cars are engineered to have more power and less torque...i.e. short stroke and large bore. They are interfence engines.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Your K series engine is a Hemi, enough said :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

My question is how much can the heads be milled before they become interference engines?
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

don't know the exact amount, but you would be increasing the compression ratio and decreasing the displacement by doing this and probably as hppwdn and I believe would end up with a no longer running engine lol.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

wytbishop wrote:Well it's not really engineered with the aim of being non-interferance. It's engineered with a specific shaped piston and combustion chamber to create a particular pattern of flame propegation during combustion and a bore to stroke ratio that creates a desireable torque curve. It's non-interferenceness is a happy byproduct of a long stroke/small bore torque monster.

Other cars are engineered to have more power and less torque...i.e. short stroke and large bore. They are interfence engines.
All K series V-6's are oversquare engines. They all have a larger bore than they do stroke.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”