what is this and how bad is it?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SteeleMX3
antispam: No

what is this and how bad is it?

Post by SteeleMX3 »

Alright so, I was doing some stuff on my baby and noticed this thing on the other side of the VC as the Dist was completely cracked, don't know how I didn't notice it before, not like I'm not in there much, but I'm wondering what it is, possibly why it's cracked, and how essential it is.

cheers
1992 Mazda MX3 Precidia GS-KLZE :: Rockin' my world since 2009
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72989 ---> Workloooogg
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: what is this and how bad is it?

Post by PATDIESEL »

It is the timing cover and it is fine if it is cracked. I am guessing that you are talking about the black plastic part....and not something underneath it.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

thats not the plastic cover for the timing belt is it?
SteeleMX3

Post by SteeleMX3 »

Yah it's just the plastic part, I thought it may have been a cover but never too careful. Thanks for input :D
I guess if its not biggie I'll get to it when I can but I think it's definately getting replaced, when the girl is too hot steam (possibly smoke) actually billows out of the crack.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

dont worry about replacing it its not very critical. if steam is coming out your water pump is probably leaking.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

when the girl is too hot steam (possibly smoke) actually billows out of the crack
loss of coolant is same for me except XTREME...I put in a new galon every couple weeks, possibly up to a month, rawrghh! I don't think it's something like a leak cuz nothing leaks on idle or while off, and I don't think it's water pump from reading this thread but I spose I could be wrong
sorry to put this back on coolant lol, but any suggestions????
definitely your water pump... wont leak until its hot enough to turn the water to steam and make alot more pressure to force it out. id get that replaced sooner then later. mine was only leaking steam for a day after the swap then it went away thats why ive held off on it.
Last edited by mikeinaus on March 10th, 2010, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteeleMX3

Post by SteeleMX3 »

dang, I guess it's off to the yard with me to get another one...unless a used pump is a bad idea :?
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

just grab a new one. you can get em on ebay for $40

http://cgi.ebay.ca/92-93-1-8L-Mazda-MX3 ... 3503wt_834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

A used pump is a bad idea.

Sorry to say.
It's not necessarily a bad idea, but for the amount of work involved, and the relative low expense of a new one, it would be silly to put in a used one.
Also; unless you know for sure that the timing belt is less than 10,000 old, I strongly recommend that you change it while you're in there, especially since it's had steamy coolant shooting onto it for a while! You should check your bearings all around there, too. They're sealed, but steam is sneaky. I had a bad idler bearing, so I pressed it out, and pressed a new one in for much cheaper than it would have costed for the whole idler.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

In lieu of the last post: I'd go to a local parts store for the pump, since there are 4 different configurations, and there's no way to know what yours is until you take it out. believe me, or look it up. I found out the hard way.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
SteeleMX3

Post by SteeleMX3 »

not bad, cheers man :mrgreen:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Buy a kit, it comes with the tensioner as well.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”