Fowljesse's OEM short shifter

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
SteeleMX3
antispam: No

Fowljesse's OEM short shifter

Post by SteeleMX3 »

Alright so I wanted to do the fowljesse-style short shifter, I messaged him and he sent me what is said below, enjoy :D

Fowljesse:

I have an OEM shifter that I notched the top of, to make a cutting head out of. I use a drill bit that is about 1mm smaller than the threaded part of the shifter, and I drill out the knob until I sart to see the black rubber. You have to be careful, because once you hit the black, you only have a couple of mm before you drill right through, and out the top. After I drill it out, I thread the shifter in with a tiny bit of oil, and once it gets to the part where the thread runs out, it starts to cut the new thread in. You can screw it down to where the white bottom part of the knob hits the taper of the shifter. If you either cut off the bottom part of the knob, or drill it out large enough, you can screw it down to the widest part of the taper on the shifter. Including cutting the top of the shifter, to essentially make a tap out of it, it takes about 1½ hours to be sure to drill it straight, and od it right.

This is the end result:

** I will be venturing this myself and posting some pics, please do the same if you do it!
1992 Mazda MX3 Precidia GS-KLZE :: Rockin' my world since 2009
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72989 ---> Workloooogg
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Fowljesse's OEM short shifter

Post by fowljesse »

Sorry about the spelling errors :oops:
That pic is a drilled out knob on a TWM short shifter. There are pics in the [FS] thread, of a comparison of the before and after on an OEM shifter.
I would have put this up as a "How to", but I was concerned that people wouldn't thread it right, and it would be loose, which would be dangerous.
Good luck. Also, if you drill it to the black part, and screw it down too far, it will bulge the top part of the shifter. I have my tapping shifter marked at the point just before where it would start to bulge.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “Appearance”