pass window switch

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
boneshaker27

pass window switch

Post by boneshaker27 »

i have a 92 mx -3 how can i fix the passenger window switch ... the driver side is workin perfectly
Nd4SpdSe

Re: pass window switch

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Replace it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
boneshaker27

Post by boneshaker27 »

just wondering if there is a way to fix it instead of replacing it
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's the contacts inside that are worn. I've never heard of anyone fixing it. Those switches should be cheap to buy, easy to get at the wreckers. I think I've got one laying around somewhere...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
boneshaker27

Post by boneshaker27 »

well i am from the caribbean and barbados at that so it will not be cheap for me and there is no junk yard here
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

have you verified that its getting power on that side yet? I would be doing all the checks prior to thinking that it needs to be replaced, there is no replacement for troubleshooting.
boneshaker27

Post by boneshaker27 »

how would i know if its gettin power
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

He said the drivers side is working ok, and I'm guessing tha the can control the passenger window from the drivers side. That being the case, it's definitely the switch. Could of also accidentally turned it off from the override on the drivers side controls too
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

if it was working before and it stopped working, then yes, i suppose it points more towards to passenger switch. however, there's not a whole lot going on in there parts wise, and i personally haven't seen a whole lot of passenger switch issues that were related to the driver's switch, which is part of the circuit.

and then of course if you switched driver's switch or someone else did, or if you've NEVER seen the passenger side working, then likely your master switch is broken or the wrong version. i'm betting on the latter
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Thats pretty much what I was thinking, passenger side switch does not get used nearly as much as the drivers switch, from my experience its usually a drivers switch problem, and with the power on/off switch on the drivers side it can take away control from the passenger side so if thats broken internally you will not have any passenger side control even when the switch is in perfect shape. Jumping to conclusions without testing leads to mistaken diagnosis. I have seen that happen lots in my career as a mechanic both in the automotive and heavy equipment world. Get yourself a voltmeter preferably a autoranging digital one and a simple 12 volt test light. Remove the passenger side switch and with the ignition on probe the plug for power, if you have power it will light the light up, no power means it won't work and its not the switch at fault at all.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”