camber settings

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MapaX5
antispam: No

camber settings

Post by MapaX5 »

ok, i went to get an alignment done, and when we looked at the settings, the guy tells me the camber cannot be adjusted and i need to get camber bolts.
is this correct?
i tried searching and found nothing about the camber in here. the toe and caster are set as close to stock as possible, but i'm riding on 5-6* of camber and have pretty much eatten up 4 tires in the last 4 months (i do a lot of 75-80mph driving for like 3 hours) and it's getting expenssive.
any help with this will help.
in short:
do i need camber bolts?
if not, how do i adjust the camber?
if i do need them, where do i find a set?
the shop told me they could get them for like $160 for the fronts!
i find it hard to believe mazda would make a car that has not camber adjustment, or need of aftermarket parts.
the car is NOT lowered, and is riding on brand new KYB GR-2 shocks.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: camber settings

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

If your car is lowered, then yes, your camber will be off. Camber isn't adjustable on most FWD cars, so the solution to that is to install camber bolts, which replace the top mounting bolt for each strut and allow camber to be made adjustable.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

lol, i know what it is, i just didn't know if we needed them for our cars.
anyone selling a set of these by any chance?
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If you look in the manual in the suspension section where they shownthe alignment specs you will see thar camber and caster are both adjusted by turning the strut mount a quarter turn either way. One way adds camber and the other way reduces camber. The truth is that only very minimal adjustment is available and you will need some method of "extreme" camber adjustment. I slotted the top hole in each strut just slightly but camber bolts are also an option.

Use the mount rotation the get the caster right and then do whatever you have to to correct the camber.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

thanks. i did look at the manual, but i guess i went into the wrong section.
i got the pics printed now and will take them back to my alignment shop to get it done next sat.
thank you agian!

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”