Frayed throttle cable

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Robotaz

Frayed throttle cable

Post by Robotaz »

I noticed tonight when I started going over the car for basic "routine" maintenance that the throttle cable to the transmission is frayed. It doesn't look like it's got long before it breaks. So, it will sit until I can fix it. I looked in the shop manual, and it looks like it ain't going to be too much fun fixing. First of all, at first glance (Mazda Parts Cheap), it doesn't appear to be a part that is readily available($$$$$$). Secondly, i don't have a pressure gauge to properly install the part. I can do the work if I have to, but man, this is not what I want to be spending free time on right now considering I'm trying to buy my first house, work 60 hours a week, and get married. Whew.

Has anyone been through this before and have any advice at all, other than don't get married? :D
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Frayed throttle cable

Post by fowljesse »

:lol: @ don't get married.
You say Throttle cable, but then say Transmission...
We may need pics of what you're talking about.
If it's the throttle cable, you can get one for a few dollars at a bike shop, Teflon coated, even. I've never done it, but I'm sure it would be easy to replace.
Now I'm thinking about replacing my throttle cable with a teflon coated one....
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

What the heck are you talking about?

Throttle cable to the transmission?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

He's only been a member since 2005, so he must be a tard or something.

Sorry man I'm just kidding :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol: He's more oldskool than all of us!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

Yeah, the transmission has a throttle cable that tells the control valve body how to modify shifting per the throttle position. Look where the TWO throttle cables connect to the throttle body and you'll see the adjustable cable that goes to the transmission. Between the two adjustment screws and the cable guide, mine's fried.

That's actually irrelevant though. The point of my frenzy is to find a solution for "mending" the cable. You have to disconnect a tranny mount, drop the pan, remove the control valve body, then install the cable, test the pressure with a pressure gauge, adjust, re-install. It's a PIA for someone working their a-- off and trying to do all of the crap I'm doing after work right now. I just want to fix the cable. Other than this and a couple of minor suspension issues, my GS with 215,000 is still going strong. I'm looking hard at Harley outfits that deal with coupling ancient cables, so we'll see. If anyone comes up with anything cool that's clever, post up.

And...wow I can't believe I've had this old beast five years now. I've had five new cars since I bought this one and it's still, even through the thick and thin, my favorite. I sold an '08 Civic Si with 6,000 miles on it, an '09 Accord Coupe V6 with 3,500 miles on it, and I still love my MX3 more than both of those jokes put together. Plus, the value is actually finally going up on these cars. I gained a $1000 over the last year or two.
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

fowljesse wrote::lol: @ don't get married.
You say Throttle cable, but then say Transmission...
We may need pics of what you're talking about.
If it's the throttle cable, you can get one for a few dollars at a bike shop, Teflon coated, even. I've never done it, but I'm sure it would be easy to replace.
Now I'm thinking about replacing my throttle cable with a teflon coated one....
I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Its not a throttle cable its called a kickdown cable its connected to the throttle body and runs to the transmission on automatics. You can mend it using a cable crimp connection for 1/8" wire any hardware supply store will have them and should it break off and you can't or won't remove and replace it just remember that if you shorthen that cable it affects the tranmsission shifting. So whatever you shorten it by from crimping it then adjsut it back that amount on the adjustment nut at the throttle body. To connect it simply strip back the casing then put both ends into either side of the crimp and crimp it down hard, just make sure that you strip back enough of the casing to allow it free travel with the throtttle body. Just so you are aware that casing is metal lined so there is a layer or rubber or plastic, metal casing under that and then the cable itself, if the cable is frayed then it has been rubbing off of something so look for the source of that rubbing to help eliminate that in the future.
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

Newfie_dan wrote:Its not a throttle cable its called a kickdown cable its connected to the throttle body and runs to the transmission on automatics. You can mend it using a cable crimp connection for 1/8" wire any hardware supply store will have them and should it break off and you can't or won't remove and replace it just remember that if you shorthen that cable it affects the tranmsission shifting. So whatever you shorten it by from crimping it then adjsut it back that amount on the adjustment nut at the throttle body. To connect it simply strip back the casing then put both ends into either side of the crimp and crimp it down hard, just make sure that you strip back enough of the casing to allow it free travel with the throtttle body. Just so you are aware that casing is metal lined so there is a layer or rubber or plastic, metal casing under that and then the cable itself, if the cable is frayed then it has been rubbing off of something so look for the source of that rubbing to help eliminate that in the future.
Can you possibly post a link to picture of what you're talking about?

Mazda calls it a throttle pressure cable. Anyway, I will try this. I've already ordered the cable ($97) and will cancel the order if this works. What caused this is a complete moron who owned the car before me. As the cable developed slack over the years, I suppose the tranny started to perform poorly. Well, some asswipe, instead of adjusting the cable, tied a freakin' knot in it. I undid the knot and adjusted it, but the damage had been done. Obviously these cables cannot handle tension over and over when the strands aren't arranged in a linear fashion. Hence the fraying.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Oh, man. That's ridiculous! You should post on "There, I fixed it"!
I've wondered what the extra TB cam was for! I've never had an auto trans newer than 1975. It's true, you can also get a cable connector at Home Depot. The Home depot ones have screw down flush bolts in each end to hold the cable in place I'm still going to get a Teflon coated throttle cable, so when I get my 9lb flywheel, I'll be revving like a fool, or Formula1 driver :lol:
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

Newfie_dan wrote:Its not a throttle cable its called a kickdown cable its connected to the throttle body and runs to the transmission on automatics. You can mend it using a cable crimp connection for 1/8" wire any hardware supply store will have them and should it break off and you can't or won't remove and replace it just remember that if you shorthen that cable it affects the tranmsission shifting. So whatever you shorten it by from crimping it then adjsut it back that amount on the adjustment nut at the throttle body. To connect it simply strip back the casing then put both ends into either side of the crimp and crimp it down hard, just make sure that you strip back enough of the casing to allow it free travel with the throtttle body. Just so you are aware that casing is metal lined so there is a layer or rubber or plastic, metal casing under that and then the cable itself, if the cable is frayed then it has been rubbing off of something so look for the source of that rubbing to help eliminate that in the future.
That''s definitely the answer I was looking for. The only problem is that by the time I cut all of the frayed crap out, it was too short to adjust. Anyway, I can now drive it and not worry about it stranding me while I drive to the dealer an hour away. It's shifting a little hard, but hey, at least I don't have to tow it. The crimp actually works well because it just sits in the cable guide and doesn't really do too much rubbing. Too bad I didn't catch it earlier. It would've been a good permanent fix.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

the crimp is not meant to be a permanent fix and you can adjust the hard shifting my moving the throttle cable closer to the throttle body on the adjustment nuts if I remember correctly, just mark it prior to moving it and play with it until you get it to shift how you want. Hard sfiting is higher pressure and it can damage the valve body and clutch packs. FYI the biggest weakness in the auto trans was heat, get an aftermarket cooler and an inline filter and you will get much more life out of this trans especially in a lot of stop and go city type traffic.

Return to “Transmissions”