Smart Key System

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Smart Key System

Post by wyldside »

Has anyone thought of installing a Smart-Key system in our MX-3? I'm refering to the type with a proximity door sensor that senses when you are close and unlocks as you touch the door handle. Once inside, it senses you are in the vehicle and sets the Start-Button Ignition on standby. The vehicle is started by touching the brake (or Clutch in manual transmission) and pressing the Start-Button. The key fob stays in your pocked the whole time. This is similar to what is found on some Toyota vehicles. Some other manufacturers have it, but I use Toyota as an example since it is one of the few that work very well. (Example: Toyota Corolla LE, Highlander Ltd, Venza AWD, Rav4 Ltd, Prius, etc...)

I know there would be a lot of wiring involved to install all the various proximity sensors (left/right side, trunk, interior) plus the Start Button ignition switch and assumed controller module that goes with the system. Anyone else familiar with this?
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
ninjajim4

Re: Smart Key System

Post by ninjajim4 »

never seen anyone do this. those that do have a push button still need to have their key in and turned to ignition, which really kills the cool factor IMO.

so you could be the first..! :welder:
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

yeah, it would be pretty awesome, but a few things to work out to make it as cool as it is on a newer car. You need to remove the steering column lock so that really decreases your theft prevention. The newer systems are going to unlock the steering with a silinoid or some sort of small motor that I cannot see you converting to our steering column. Then the wiring would be a PITA, but probably doable depending on how proprietary the Toyota system is. It might run through systems that just do not exist on a MX, like a factory alarm. In that case you would have to also understand the alarm so that you could bypass that part of the wiring or trick the ignition into thinking the alarm was there.
I would look into some aftermarket version. I would bet they are much more likely to be able to get to the same cool place with less effort.
A simple push button starter is easy to install with or without the need for the ignition key if that is all you want.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

I know a simple push button start is easy to install, it is just the whole Smart-Key system with sensing the FOB in you pocket; that makes it difficult. The steering wheel lock isn't that difficult to convert to a small solenoid pin on a relay. I guess one would just need to get their hands on the wiring diagrams to the system in a Toyota. Maybe I'll see if I can find some diagrams to a 2010 Rav4 Ltd. That is probably the least complicated system.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm perfectly happy with my remote locks, but I'm practically a Ludite.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I was actually just thinking about this yesterday. My roommate has a Lexus IS250 and it has this feature... I drove it the other day and it really is a cool feature! As mentioned, it seems like it would be really complicated :crying:
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you can find him- ask (PM) jaydog5678 if he can get you the wiring diagrams for whatever Toyota. His shop works on Honda/Toyota/Mazda and has manuals through some company online. Dunno if he can do it easily or for free, but worth a shot I guess. If he does not respond ask him on MOCA. He does not frequent here anymore. Mnumonic (sp?) is good at finding stuff online that should not be free too... he might also be willing to help with such a cool endeavor.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

This should help:

http://www.auto-hub.com/stardrive_push_ ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brilliant.
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

ninjajim4 wrote:never seen anyone do this. those that do have a push button still need to have their key in and turned to ignition, which really kills the cool factor IMO.

i beg to differ. My rx8 has smart key and i never take key phob out of my pocket. I can lock and unlock my car from outside and never remove key from pocket. And i just get in car and turn key as if i had a key in it. My key never leaves my pocket. As same for the altima i had. Only it had a push button start/stop. Which i wish they wld have put in rx8 but there are reasons they didnt.
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

i think it would be pretty sweet to have. I love mine on rx8. It spoils me though. I get in other cars and i almost forget how to use a regular key. Or how to manualy unlock a door. Lol. Allthough i myself would not wan to go though process of putting it on mx. But would be nice knowing it could be done when i have nothing else to do to mx.
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I think what ninjajim was saying was that he's only ever seen an aftermarket push button setup where you still have to put a key in.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

onlytrueromeo wrote:This should help:

http://www.auto-hub.com/stardrive_push_ ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brilliant.
Nice find. That is pretty much what I am looking for. I will check that stuff out some more.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Compustar two-way alarm/starters have this feature. The proximity feature, where the car will be disarmed/unlocked when you get near it.

Then you just need to do some creative wiring for a push button, and solve the steering wheel lock - and your good to go!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

xtreme velocity wrote:
ninjajim4 wrote:never seen anyone do this. those that do have a push button still need to have their key in and turned to ignition, which really kills the cool factor IMO.

i beg to differ. My rx8 has smart key and i never take key phob out of my pocket. I can lock and unlock my car from outside and never remove key from pocket. And i just get in car and turn key as if i had a key in it. My key never leaves my pocket. As same for the altima i had. Only it had a push button start/stop. Which i wish they wld have put in rx8 but there are reasons they didnt.
sigh... :roll:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You should be EASILLY able to convert it over...the hard part is already done. It's more likely to have to do with the fact that you can still use a key, a redundant system so you're not screwed if the fob dies/fails.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”