Good thing I did an E-brake "Bootlegger's" turn!

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Good thing I did an E-brake "Bootlegger's" turn!

Post by fowljesse »

I finally got my license back, but have been very sick. However, I had to go for a drive. There's a parking lot for a scenic point along the drive that enters the road at about a 170° angle (basically a U-turn). I was feeling fiesty, so after making sure there was no one around, I approached the turn at about 40mph, and flicked the wheel, and then locked up the E-brake, to get the back end around. Then I hit the gas in 2nd, and made the turn without losing momentum. I went to the Bondurant driving school when I had money, and perfected this teqchnique, and don't recommend people trying it unless you're in a parking lot with nothing to hit. When I pulled the brake, I heard a noise like the brake pad was down to metal. I never heard this until now, and even afterward, it doesn't make the sound unless I'm braking hard. I looked at the rotor, and sure enough, the outer 2mm of it are ground up.
If I hadn't done the turn, I wouldn't have known.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: Good thing I did an E-brake "Bootlegger's" turn!

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Cool.

Are you recommending it as a way to test your brakes? :lol: :lol:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I wanna learn stuff like that someday :P that and the 360 stuff and the drift parallel parking hahah :roll:
How hard did you pull? Is there a good chance of the ebrake snapping or not really?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Only goes to show that driving like an idiot has it's benifits. :P
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes! Test your systems regularly :) I've done things in my MX-3...
If the E-brake cable would have failed, it would have been a while ago. If you try this in a safe place, don't let go of the E-brake locking button.
It costs the same I paid for my car, but I highly recommend racing school to anyone who can afford it, or can save for it. It makes driving much more fun.
I wrote about a 360 in the same car a couple years ago... I was on a 2 lane bridge with no wiggle room, trying to impress the girl who is now my girlfriend. I'll see if I can find it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Here it is: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ge#p444709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Sigh. reminds me of driving my old beater saturn, I was able once to pull off an ebrake 180 to reverse, reverse 180 out and still manage to keep it on the road, with some momentum.
I did horrible horrible things to that car lol
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Since that thread I have successfully pulled a full 360 on a residential street, on purpose. Going about 40 kph, and my rear bumper only grazed one snow pile :D zero damage, just a crazy heartbeat.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

SWeet!
PilotSmack89
antispam: No

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Ryan wrote:Going about 40 kph, and my rear bumper only grazed one snow pile :D
Snow Piles - Canada's version of the lane bumpers at the bowling alley haha
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Yeah, its amazing how hard you can smash into a softer snow pile and your car come out unscathed. Unfortunately, my girlfriend finds the trees between the snow piles, and now I'm repairing the fresh bumper I put on this fall :(
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”