to rs obd2 nos 92mx3

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mzdamx3rsdohc

to rs obd2 nos 92mx3

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

hey did you guys get your cars running? obd hows your clutch holding up? have you been driving it at all? the ministries on strike here so i still cant my ontario license and you cant insure a car with out of province license so ive only driven around my areaa little bit and havent put it above 4000 yet. mainly due to a lack of fuel pump... i have the injectors but i still cant find my fmu and i need a fuel pump hence why im not giving it... but from 2800-4000 it feels better than my probe did at 6500 so i cant wait to have it all properly set up....

heres what i have its pretty much what the mx would of been like had it been stock turbo'd:
1)stock vj-14-little play i found out but the guy i got it from has 5 or 6 so
2)intercooler gtx- stock mazda gtx intercooler mounted in the same location by the rad as the gtx
3)exhaust piping as my intercooler piping
4)gtx stock 310cc injectors
5)i picked up my coolant feed coming from the throttlebody and return to where the throttlebody coolant entered that copper tube that runs back by the lower rad hose. easy
6)new seals and used stock aluminum gtx oil pan with cooling fins and more capacity... had to remove the baffle tho

need fuel pump, to find my fmu or get a new one... that seems about it i already have a 2 1/4 exhaust that im keeping with a high flow cat... all together its pretty much a stock set-up which hopefully = reliable

total cost under a 500- if i have to buy a fmu theres 100, and eventually a clutch so 400....

are you guys using your stock computers?the only downside to a fmu i think is retaining the stock rev limiter i imagine that will pop up pretty quick thru these short gears.... do you guys get traction in 2nd? im on 14's but at 3500ishe the tires start to slip in 2nd. im scared to go to my wider tires and heavier rims for fear of the diff...what rims tires are you guys on? im using 185 14's on the front i have my 205 15's on the back... i hve a complete set of 17's but their just to big and sticky, they have the scorcher on em and if youve seen them their a half slick half treaded pretty much so i dont think ill put them on... maybe the 15's their light still... ive already blown two trannies over the years so i feel thats the weak part of the drivetrain... and ever since dropping the 17's to the 14's my newest tranny has been perfect for 3 years.

anyways id love to hear about the driveability of your cars...low rpms daily driving and how it pulls up top, how your clutch is holding seeing you have the big 16g which is a far superior turbo to mine....
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: to rs obd2 nos 92mx3

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Sounds like you are well on your way.
The stock clutch did not handle at all. The new one is sitting on my table at the moment. It's fun... but I really have no idea what it can do just yet. At first it would hold a short duration of 8 psi or so. But it won't hold even a gradual build to 4psi. It's done at about 3500 rpm. And I did not abuse it at all. They just can't handle even a small increase in tq. I am pumped about getting this clutch put it... just so damn cold at the moment.

The worklog was just updated last night. you better get your project pics posted too.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Unfortunatly my black car was just to far gone to save, floors were gone holes in the rockers needed all new lines, so i said f*** it and bought smoke187's white mx with a bp swap already done.

If i were you and if your dead set on running an FMU, dont use those 310's stick with the stock injectors for now, with the 310's and a FMU it will be super rich.
What i would do though is grab a wideband o2 sensor setup, a bp26 ecu and a rx7 vaf. then install your 310's and go tune :D
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

ya i didnt think the stock clutch would hold up especially with a big16g thats pretty much a t3/t4 isnt it? hopefully mine lasts a little longer it has under 20000 on it and the smaller turbo i imagine you probably have 40 hp or so over me... how did it pull up top at 8 psi for you when it was grabbing, did you get traction thru 2nd? are you using a s-afc? or what fuel or engine management? ya im going to put up pics once i have time to figure out this img insert than click img or whatever...lol... are you doing a flywheel to?

nos- i am 99% sure i cant use that ecu vaf combo as i have the DOHC 1.6 not a sohc or bp.... are you going to turbo the new mx with your kit you had collected? you dont think the smaller injectors will max out with the fmu? i was thinking of getting the disc kit so i have a 8:1 to a 12:1 ratio which if its rich i can just change the disk? ya i know i need a wideband im still rocking the 2006 narrowband...lmao... which is a huge reason i havent taken her above 4gs cause it always reads the same at WOT 2 bars over rich b4 the turbo and now after so i know its not even remotely close... the thing about changing the injectors back i already cut the harness and put on the clips for the gtx ones and id need new o rings again... im definatly 100% for the FMU though i have no worries about it theyve been used since the 40's and it operates a lot like a gas reg except its upping pressure instead of reducing so as long as the diagraphm is good quality and its mounted HORIZONTALLY at pretty much a zero degree angle, its when ppl start angling them or installing them vertically they have issues... but im a gas fitter so im familar with the design of a fmu and its purpose and regs using a similar design operate our furnaces without ever causing issues unless someone blocks the vent or cranks a valve open and ruptures a diaphgram. with standalone or megasquirt id really feel the car wouldnt be so reliable as its a better system but still depends on the competence of a human operator to set it up being me or someone else, and is a lot more intricate. although i do agree it is superior if properly set up
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

ya i didnt think the stock clutch would hold up especially with a big16g thats pretty much a t3/t4 isnt it? hopefully mine lasts a little longer it has under 20000 on it and the smaller turbo i imagine you probably have 40 hp or so over me... how did it pull up top at 8 psi for you when it was grabbing, did you get traction thru 2nd? are you using a s-afc? or what fuel or engine management? ya im going to put up pics once i have time to figure out this img insert than click img or whatever...lol... are you doing a flywheel to?

nos- i am 99% sure i cant use that ecu vaf combo as i have the DOHC 1.6 not a sohc or bp.... are you going to turbo the new mx with your kit you had collected? you dont think the smaller injectors will max out with the fmu? i was thinking of getting the disc kit so i have a 8:1 to a 12:1 ratio which if its rich i can just change the disk? ya i know i need a wideband im still rocking the 2006 narrowband...lmao... which is a huge reason i havent taken her above 4gs cause it always reads the same at WOT 2 bars over rich b4 the turbo and now after so i know its not even remotely close... the thing about changing the injectors back i already cut the harness and put on the clips for the gtx ones and id need new o rings again... im definatly 100% for the FMU though i have no worries about it theyve been used since the 40's and it operates a lot like a gas reg except its upping pressure instead of reducing so as long as the diagraphm is good quality and its mounted HORIZONTALLY at pretty much a zero degree angle, its when ppl start angling them or installing them vertically they have issues... but im a gas fitter so im familar with the design of a fmu and its purpose and regs using a similar design operate our furnaces without ever causing issues unless someone blocks the vent or cranks a valve open and ruptures a diaphgram. with standalone or megasquirt id really feel the car wouldnt be so reliable as its a better system but still depends on the competence of a human operator to set it up being me or someone else, and is a lot more intricate. although i do agree it is superior if properly set up
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I'm not too sure on the relation to the t3/t4. I know it spools damn fast and is rated up to 500cfm or so. It seems like I had to relearn how to drive. I could not give it more than 15% gas at any given time or the clutch would slip. My clutch probably had 30000kms on it before it ever saw boost. When I did have grip it would break the tires with ease. I had the winters on at that point, so it's hard to say how it would act with my 215's vs the 165-185 winters.

I am using the AEM F/IC piggy for my tuning. It's still really rich and quite a basic tune for now. After the clutch and maybe a new exhaust I'll bring it by the dyno for a good tune. So far so good. I did manage to throw a CEL for my EGR the last time I took it out. I keep the code reader in the car and just to be safe. All in all, I like the F/IC, large maps and plenty of flex without throwing a code to the ECU.

You are pretty limited on the maf and electronics you can use with the OBDII cars. I'm not a big fan of FMU's... I'd sooner be proactive instead of reactive with it comes to the fueling of your engine.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hey listen. I'm enjoying your write up,, but. When I see a big lonng as*ed write ups I tend to move on so here's my suggestion. Pose your questions like this.

Hey I want to ask.
a. Is 165 psi too much boost?
b. Are farm tractor tires a little too large?
c. Is an intercooler from the Space Shuttle I found on Ebay a little pricey at $85.99
d. This allows us to answer whatever questions we feel qualitied to answer letter by letter.

Just a suggestion.
Other than that I like that your into this with both feet. Make sure this is on in your work log OK with pics. We likes pics. :D Cheers

PS you said the Ministries on stricke? I'm in Ontario and there's no strike here?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

well thats gay i was just down at the drive test center today and they are still picketing the lazy workers... i meant ministry drive test center i have 8 or 9 points so i cant just transfer to a ontario license from my alberta i have to do my g1 g2 and g all the same day... im pretty sure its standard across ontario as lindsays on strike. is the drive test center open there?

ya ill post some pics and shorten er' up a bit... were you looking for the turbo parts? your not to far i can ask my talk to my parts guy for ya next time i stop by his place...

well that sounds sweet rs- takes away any high hopes for my clutch tho...lol... although i figured that would happen already. i imagine the discs fine the stock pressure plate just wasnt intended for more than 110 ft. lbs...lol... im not sure what the turbo is equivalent to either my buddies evo on a big 16g is pushing over 2 bars or 30 psi for a while now tho and it pulls f'n hard,... well thats good to hear your up and running reliably. you dont like the fmu eh... i find it has such a proven simple design, its design is used across canada and the u.s dealing with huge pressures at reg stations etc. no electronics if boost is there the extra fuel is there... now a rising rate fpr id be skeptical, but like i said its preference im familar with regs of a similar design so its ideal for me.

how hard was your piggyback to install? i steered away from a piggyback because not many ppl had done it to their mx and a lot sad it was next to impossible, but obviously not... were you able to adjust your rev limit to 7-7200 like a b6t is stock? so you just used a piggy back bigger injectors and fuel pump? it would help in controlling my 310 or 330cc injectors at the least

what fuel pump did you get? i have to get one this week and cant decide between a 2nd gen rx, 3rd gen, walbro 255, walbro 190...lol... 255 is over kill but i love the sound of a loud fuel pump and the 255 can be heard 10 feet away...lol
but for simplicity i was thinking a rx one would be easiest

215's have you blown a diff yet on those tires and rims?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I blew the syncros in second gear about 5 years back.. other than than I don't do clutch drops or hard shifts.

The Big 16G is an authentic Mitsu turbo. Have the logo stamped on the WG actuator. There is no way I'll be pushing 2 bar tho. Nuts!

The AEM F/IC was not that hard to wire up. The only snag I had was with the OBDII harness and the fact that no one anywhere had the diagrams for the harness... do I had to make my own. I trust it and it works great. I'm running A Walbro 255 with Rx 460's or whatever they are. I do have a full parts list on the first page of my WL: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=69074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't find the 255 all that loud.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

how do you like the aem FIC?
I was contemplating buying one and selling off my megasquirt just because my goals of all out street monster went to the yard with my black one, now i just want a fun DD.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I like it. But as a wannabe-tuner-noob I have no solid background. I'll post my dyno results after the pro's get to my car. The final results should tell all. I do like the gauges display and ease to program. The AEM forums blow tho. Just a bunch of douches asking if it will work on their hondas. I was able to get a fair street tune with a just a few attempts. I would go standalone if I had an extra grand and much more ambition (AEM EMS).
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

hows the wiring aspect of it? simple and straight forward or is it a pain?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

The wiring is always a pain.. It was fairly clear tho. If they were all marked either intercept or tap.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

does the piggy back still work with obd1?
what plugs did you end up using?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

it will work with anything. You don't get to use the plugs, they stay connected to your ecu. You have to splice into your harness to connect the piggy.

Return to “Forced Induction”