Clear Headlight lenses>????

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
nlsolja123

Clear Headlight lenses>????

Post by nlsolja123 »

I made me a set of custom projector headlights, WHere can i get a set of clear lenses? I sen them on ebay for 100, is there another place to get them?

Is there anyway of making my own lenses or even a clear cut square out of the lense, my light output is horrible becuase my projectors are interfered with yellow, oxidized and scratched lenses
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Clear Headlight lenses>????

Post by umcamara »

Might you better off just purchasing a set of the new Mx3 projectors off ebay?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

buy the ones off of e-bay, I tried for months to sand a set of stockers to perfectly clear and it was a SUPER PITA and they are still not how I want them.
BTW- post a pic of your headlamps. There are only a few of us who have made our own and I am just interested. ;)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

can also get JDM or EDM lenses, different plastics and glass.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mike Wakeham

Post by Mike Wakeham »

What about these:

http://www.sickhids.com/apps/webstore/p ... how/653006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Set of clear headlight lenses for the MX-3 (option 2)

Might try them on my stock lights. No sure how it would affect the beam pattern though.

Ideal for projectors though!
My Toys:
Stock (for the moment) 1996 K8 MX-3 with CAI
1998 Suzuki GN 125cc (my learner bike!)
Soon Honda VFR 400 NC30(when I'm not a learner anymore!)
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Mike Wakeham wrote: Set of clear headlight lenses for the MX-3 (option 2)

Might try them on my stock lights. No sure how it would affect the beam pattern though.
it'll screw your beam pattern right up, it'll be all over the place with no cutoff, i had a broken lenses once and i broke off the rest of the lense to see what it would look like, and yeah, no cutoff
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Evo_Spec wrote:it'll screw your beam pattern right up, it'll be all over the place with no cutoff, i had a broken lenses once and i broke off the rest of the lense to see what it would look like, and yeah, no cutoff
Yeah but these will be full lens, they're just glass, and if they're the exact same shape I imagine the beam pattern won't get affected too much, other than slightly different refraction due to different material/density but I imagine that's negligeable.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

I dunno what Evo is talking bout. I have custom projectors too, and have used my sanded lenses and tried a set of GTS clear lense add-o (the only other option before these aftermarket projectors were made and thus the new clear lenses) and it did not effect my beam at all. The clear lenses posted above or the ebay ones (probably the exact same thing) should work just fine.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i'm talking about the stock halogen reflector, because someone mentions replacing them on his STOCK lights.
if you replaced your lens on your stock lights with a clear lens then you won't have a beam pattern anymore due to how the stock halogen reflector works
i was not talking about a projector setup, a projector setup will be fine with clear lenses and should have them
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

how was the sanding done?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

mmm, right- on a stock headlight it would be fubar.
Sanding... start with some high grit on a "mouse" sander or other similar sander that can get into tight corners. Once the coarse grit has gotten all of the beam dispursion off (the lense is more or less even aross the inside face) you move to lighter grits until you get to 2000 grit and it should be more or less clear. Takes forever and costs about half in sandpaper what a set would be to buy.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I used a Mothers Powerball in my drill and some crap polish I took from a Hazmat recycling drop off and I also used some wax cleaner and both polished the headlights on my MX6 and MX3 up to almost crystal clear. The powerball works great. Couple of minutes on each lens and your gold. No sh*t :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”