Strut Towers Are Gone

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jmdearras
antispam: No

Re: Strut Towers Are Gone

Post by jmdearras »

Mx3forever wrote:Image

The left strut still in place on a rusted bottom support.

The right strut is through the rusted bottom support and rattling around the ledge!
No sign of the top support piece, perhaps I left it in a crater in Cincinnati.

Are these replaceable rear strut mounts? I thought the metal seemed really thin for a major part of a structure.
What happened to me was the entire top plate, bolts, seatbelt and all "poped" off the strut tower "tube" lower than your image shows. As mentioned above, you have just lost the top strut mounts, no structural issues with the car body!

Jim
Mx3forever

Post by Mx3forever »

"The funny thing is mine broke right past the AA highway on 275. lol. Where are you located?"

Actually, I don't live there. I was visiting over the weekend. Those are some of the roughest roads I have seen for a while. There were roads where sections of the pavement would just shift 2 inches up or down without warning.

I'll be back, in about 5 years. Until then, I did leave part of my suspension there.

As for this, once I pull the struts out I'm going to de-rust what's left and repaint and weatherize anything there from the bottom side up. Anyone have a really good rubber based
spray covering they recommend for the wheel wells and up to the tower?

Thanks
Mx3forever

Post by Mx3forever »

Humm,

Well, I got everything back on.
My stopper Seats were rotted out too and no one seemed to carry them or had heard of them.
They didn't go back on.

After i got it back together it almost sounds like I have the faint sound of a rear drum brake rubbing.
I haven't noticed any grab coasting though.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

A faint whirring noise is probably a wheel bearing. Was probably damaged when the spring broke. The rear wheel bearing is replaced as an assembly and relatively easy to remove/replace. You can probably get one in decent shape at a wrecker if you're really poor.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Skuce

Post by Skuce »

Get a can of "Rust Check" or Spray rust proofing OIL and spray the whole inside of the strut tower before you put the strut assembly back in.

Will stop anything structural from rusting out in the future.
Drew
'95 EGT 1.8
T
'93 ELX 1.9 SC
'91 ELX 1.9

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”