fuel warning light?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
LilYoda
antispam: No

fuel warning light?

Post by LilYoda »

Hello all

I have a 1998 Maxda MX3 (french version)

It works fine, except that I have no warning lights anywhere on the dashboard when I am low on fuel. The fuel gauge is working fine.

I'm wondering if this is normal, if I have a light bulb burnt, if maybe a connector is cut somewhere, etc... I don't have the owner manual, so I'm wondering where on the dashboard it should light up? Anyone as a diagram, picture, schematics that could be helpful?

Thanks in advance

Brgrds
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: fuel warning light?

Post by Ryan »

Your screen name...

We have(had) a member named Yoda who knew almost everything about the universe, as these cars go.

Anyway, take a look in here

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The light should be a little orange light that slowly comes on, as the gas level drops. There is a bulb in the back of the cluster for it.

None of the dash lights work? ANY? including the HVAC panel, and all?

Try checking your ROOM fuse, and all the rest while you're at it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Not all the clusters have the cutout for the light. My '96 RS doesn't, but a '94 RS cluster from the junkyard does. So does my '95 GS cluster.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Miguelitto

Post by Miguelitto »

My 97 doens't have this light also!!!
Never run faster than your angel can fly!........ My angel has NOS
My worklog || Brazil => http://www.mx3zone.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LilYoda

Post by LilYoda »

Ryan wrote:We have(had) a member named Yoda who knew almost everything about the universe, as these cars go.
Not me, I don't know **** :freak:
Ryan wrote:Anyway, take a look in here
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't have the same cluster...
For exemple on the right side, the warning light at the top of the stack or 4 is a warning light about level of windshield washer fluid.
Ryan wrote:The light should be a little orange light that slowly comes on, as the gas level drops. There is a bulb in the back of the cluster for it.
If I look at the manual, I see this
I'm assuming the circle drawn below the fuel gauge is the orange light you mention. I don't see anything there on my cluster. Actually I don't even have a cut on that area of the cluster that would suggest there's a light hidden there...
I'll try to get a picture of that area on mine.
Ryan wrote:None of the dash lights work? ANY? including the HVAC panel, and all?
Everything works, except that I have no clue if the warning light for when you're low on fuel even exists on my model.

I see others mention some models don't have this. I find it surprising. If that's the case for me, could I just replace that part in the instrument cluster with one from the junkyard? Or am I going to run into issues like the fuel gauge doesn't work anymore because they changed the wiring, or the resistance, etc...
edger0587

Post by edger0587 »

Wow. I wish I had a 98. My mx3 does the opposite. it stops marking gas on the gauge when I have less than 1/4 of a tank, but my light comes on just fine when I'm about to run out (~24 miles or so before_)
Elegant Beige 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS. CAI, Short throw shifter, 16" miata rims
1992 Mazda miata. Classic red, stock everything
RIP 1994 Mazda mx-3 RS

"Cats make terrible doctors"
Mike Wakeham

Post by Mike Wakeham »

Hi All,

European versions don't have the low fuel warning light. Don't know why that's just how it is!

If you were to fit one, you'd need the low level sensor in the tank and associated wiring, and a new cluster. The low level light doesn't work from the guage reading there is a little sensor attached to the sender in the tank.

Too much hastle to fit one but that's just me! :D

In answer to edger above. The guage stops reading due to the sender being knackerd. It is basicly a coil of high resistance wire with a slider attached to a float. Similar to a scalextric throttle gun. The float sits ontop of the gas and as the level changes the slider moves along the coil of wire changing in voltage, this gives the reading on your guage. Over time the coil wears out and splits, once the slider reaches the split it'll stop reading on the guage. Just replace the sensor from pretty much any Mazda from the same year from a junk yard, they're all the same. When mine broke I got one from a 323.
My Toys:
Stock (for the moment) 1996 K8 MX-3 with CAI
1998 Suzuki GN 125cc (my learner bike!)
Soon Honda VFR 400 NC30(when I'm not a learner anymore!)
LilYoda

Post by LilYoda »

Mike Wakeham wrote:If you were to fit one, you'd need the low level sensor in the tank and associated wiring, and a new cluster. The low level light doesn't work from the guage reading there is a little sensor attached to the sender in the tank.
:shock: Might be faster to build a new car!

OK guys, thanks for the info. I'll look if I have the *%@! sensor, but I'm suspecting you're right and they didn't put neither the wire nor the sensor. Now why would that not be standard in a car built in 98 is beyond me! :confused2:
lowbaylighting

Post by lowbaylighting »

Hi all,
I don't have a fuel light for my car. I am hearing this here first time.
It would be thankful, if anybody suggest me how to fix this for my car.
Thanks in advance
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Mike Wakeham wrote:If you were to fit one, you'd need the low level sensor in the tank and associated wiring, and a new cluster. The low level light doesn't work from the guage reading there is a little sensor attached to the sender in the tank.
that's what is involved...

I'm finding it very interesting there is no fuel light for euro mx-3's... I wonder why that is?! :confused2:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I think its kinda redundant anyway. When you get near the bottom line, you're running out of fuel....

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Mooneggs wrote:
that's what is involved...

I'm finding it very interesting there is no fuel light for euro mx-3's... I wonder why that is?! :confused2:
Mine's not euro, and I've got no light...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Also, most aftermarket guages cover the light.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Ryan wrote:I think its kinda redundant anyway. When you get near the bottom line, you're running out of fuel....
Well in my case my fuel level sender was broken for a while and I had to rely on the light to tell me my fuel level, it's pretty useful as a failsafe measure.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
jmdearras

Post by jmdearras »

Mad Cow wrote:
Well in my case my fuel level sender was broken for a while and I had to rely on the light to tell me my fuel level, it's pretty useful as a failsafe measure.
I rely on it on road trips. I sometimes do not notice a slowly dropping fuel guage, but the light gets my attention!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”