high beam clicking

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
CrimsonReign1

high beam clicking

Post by CrimsonReign1 »

i saw the other topic about high beam problems but mine is a little different

when i pull the switch toward myself it works just fine when when i push it out to turn on the high beams it makes a loud rapid clicking noise which sounds like its coming from near the glove box and the light on the dash showing that the high beams are on doesnt turn on untill it stops clicking

the high beams work while this happens but it just clicks when i first turn them on and occasionally while there kept on, its just annoying as hell
93 SE, black
PoisonDrop

Re: high beam clicking

Post by PoisonDrop »

First of all, what year/model car do you have? Post it in your signature, it will help us answer you better...

OK, that problem sounds weird. Maybe take apart that side of the dash and see if you can locate what's clicking? Relays click, but depending on which model you have, the solutions can be different...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Most likely a relay, look in the manual and see where the high beam relays are and get someone to turn them on while you listen.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
CrimsonReign1

Post by CrimsonReign1 »

ill give that a shot when i get the chance, most likely this weekend, ill let you know
93 SE, black
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

If your car is like mine, there are 3 relay's under the glovebox, the two of them are the same
so you could try and swap them around

heres a picture Image
CrimsonReign1

Post by CrimsonReign1 »

thanks, ill try to take a look when i get a chance, ive been busier than i thought i would be lately
93 SE, black
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

As far as the relays go, you probably won't find them under the glove box. In the North American models, our relays are under the dash above the fuse box on the driver's side. I'm pretty sure your car is more like mine than mortenmorfar's, since you are not in Denmark...

Ok, I'm looking at the wiring diagram now. Even though the high and low beams use the same relay, the "flash to pass" function (when you pull back) is actually on a separate switch from the regular high beams. That switch uses the same power source as the relay itself, essentially bypassing the headlight relay for this function only. So it would make sense that flash to pass still works, bad relay or not.

The only thing that puzzles me is the fact that you only get clicking on your high beams, not your low beams. Since those two functions DO use the same relay, you'd have problems with both if the relay was bad. This leads me to believe that it's the switch, not the relay. Most likely the high beam contact inside the switch is not making a good connection, and the clicking you are hearing is the switch arcing. Then when it finally makes the connection, your high beams work. If this is the case, unfortunately, you will have to replace the whole combo switch.

Check out the wiring diagram in the online manual for more info on the headlights/electrical system.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”