Current look vs. Future look

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Current look vs. Future look

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm brand new to owning an Mx-3, I've had one for about 2 months and have had nothing but problems so far. I had $1,500 i was planning to put into body work and maybe a new paintjob.
Little did I know, I would become incapacitated and have no choice but to let my little sister drive my car(she can't drive a stick, oh God death would have been easier than hearing my baby screaming for a better driver)

Anyways... long story short she literally blew my tranny. Don't know enough about it to fix it myself so I brought it to a friend who's replacing it with a used one(25,000 original miles).

Well back to the point of my post, I had planned to turn this:

Into this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... a_MX-3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With these:

http://www.octanemotorsports.com/images ... -HL-BK.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The paintjob on my car is original, but as you can tell in the first 2 pics it is horribly faded and in places completely gone.

The $1,500 I had saved up to buy a new right door, buy the headlights, and buy the body kit in the second picture was used up(and then some) by the tranny/clutch replacement I had to pay for. :(

Before my sister messed up my transmission, I had managed to seal the deal on a FREE full custom paint job with my Girlfriend's Uncle; I would have had the car completely finished by now had circumstances not changed so suddenly.

During the time it took me to find a used transmission, my Girlfriend and I broke up.

Long story short, I can't pay for the body work, the body kit, the free paint job is gone, and I am stuck looking like a guy who can't take care of a car. :(

It's sad, I have babied this car since the day I bought it. I wash it every time I see even a little dirt, road grime, etc. on it; I fully detailed the interior and went so far as to steam clean the seats until they were spotless.

Now it doesn't matter how good I treat my car, because it looks ghetto anyways. People assume I'm just another d-bag who can't treat his car right, and it's a horrible feeling.

Anyways, I'll be fixing her up as soon as I can afford to again. Just felt like sharing a sad story lol.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Current look vs. Future look

Post by mitmaks »

I wouldn't go with body kit though. A nice paint job, lower it, nice rims and it'll be nice driver
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mitmaks wrote:I wouldn't go with body kit though. A nice paint job, lower it, nice rims and it'll be nice driver
That's the only body kit that appealed in any way to me. :/

Relatively good price and the material sounds like what I'm looking for.

http://www.andysautosport.com/mazda/199 ... 72070.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd lower it if I could get away with it, but with my driveway I barely clear as I am now.

I could go for some rims, but typically they cost alot for such a small change.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
MX3-4U2NV

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

Go for it. It's your car right? We're not driving it. If that's the skirts you like, by all means go nuts.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Here's some honest advice, please take it for what you want.

If you're going to put money into your MX-3, especially body work, you can not hope to get that money back. For most of us, that is fine - myself included.

If you drive an old car there is no warranty, and things add up quick - especially if you are paying people to do it. It sucks about your tranny, but if you had the tools, you could have done that job yourself for $400, including the price of a new stock clutch disk + bearing, and a junkyard tranny.

Instead of spending your next paycheck on $2000 in bodywork and a kit, buy some tools. Tools will last longer than the car, and can be used on many different projects. Plus, you will save money in the future when things happen and you need to fix them, and gain a lot of knowledge. $500 in tools will get you a long way, especially if you have a garage to work in.

Jack
Jackstands
Wrenches
Sockets
Hammer
Screwdrivers
Drill
Drill bit extractors (these things are amazing)
etc.

You don't need anything fancy to start off with, just the basics will do well. Eventually, when your engine goes, will you want to spend 3k to get it fixed at a shop, especially after you just dumped money into an expensive paint job? Even the least skilled backyard mechanic can learn to do an engine swap, and complete it. There are a number of us here that have learned to work on cars from our time with the MX-3.

I'd skip the body kit for now. Step 1, buy tools. Step 2, get a cheap paint job done at Maaco or wherever, or us the MoonWax approach and spray the car in primer.

Then when you have some mechanical knowledge of the car, and more money than you have now, you can opt for 2k on paint and body kit. Maaco will only cost you a few hundred, and primer/tape like $50.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Don't forget a crowbar. Great for prying, smashing, and fending off headcrab zombies. Gordon Freeman knew it, and now you know it.
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Here's some honest advice, please take it for what you want.

If you're going to put money into your MX-3, especially body work, you can not hope to get that money back. For most of us, that is fine - myself included.

If you drive an old car there is no warranty, and things add up quick - especially if you are paying people to do it. It sucks about your tranny, but if you had the tools, you could have done that job yourself for $400, including the price of a new stock clutch disk + bearing, and a junkyard tranny.

Instead of spending your next paycheck on $2000 in bodywork and a kit, buy some tools. Tools will last longer than the car, and can be used on many different projects. Plus, you will save money in the future when things happen and you need to fix them, and gain a lot of knowledge. $500 in tools will get you a long way, especially if you have a garage to work in.

Jack
Jackstands
Wrenches
Sockets
Hammer
Screwdrivers
Drill
Drill bit extractors (these things are amazing)
etc.

You don't need anything fancy to start off with, just the basics will do well. Eventually, when your engine goes, will you want to spend 3k to get it fixed at a shop, especially after you just dumped money into an expensive paint job? Even the least skilled backyard mechanic can learn to do an engine swap, and complete it. There are a number of us here that have learned to work on cars from our time with the MX-3.

I'd skip the body kit for now. Step 1, buy tools. Step 2, get a cheap paint job done at Maaco or wherever, or us the MoonWax approach and spray the car in primer.

Then when you have some mechanical knowledge of the car, and more money than you have now, you can opt for 2k on paint and body kit. Maaco will only cost you a few hundred, and primer/tape like $50.
You make some very valid points.

I have access to all the tools you mentioned above, I am just terrified to try and fix a problem if i don't understand it 100%. I fear I would make it worse, and in the long run just cost myself extra time and money.

I'll think more on it, thanks for the advice.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You don't realize how simple it is before you try.

I say don't be afraid to dive into anything headfirst, unless you forsee having to stop in the middle for a month. Then its hard to remember what everything is and where it goes. Reassembly usually jogs your memory though.

But once you've done it once, its in your brain for good.

And, if you get stuck, just ask us.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan wrote:You don't realize how simple it is before you try.

I say don't be afraid to dive into anything headfirst, unless you forsee having to stop in the middle for a month. Then its hard to remember what everything is and where it goes. Reassembly usually jogs your memory though.

But once you've done it once, its in your brain for good.

And, if you get stuck, just ask us.

I'll give it a shot, I've already done simple repairs myself, and had planned to do many more in the near future. Major repairs are daunting, in this case I had little choice as I had to get my car fixed IMMEDIATELY. (It's my only car right now, I loaned my other one to my Dad for a while).
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You should complete your profile. There might be other local guys willing to help show you how to work on your car.
Keep working and she will look good soon enough. Sorry to hear about your being incapacitated, what happened?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

PATDIESEL wrote:You should complete your profile. There might be other local guys willing to help show you how to work on your car.
Keep working and she will look good soon enough. Sorry to hear about your being incapacitated, what happened?
I'll do that right now, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the support =)

Hah... funny story... I went to a party with some friends and ended up being the DD for the night. Then we decided to stay the night and I thought "oh what the hell, why not?" so I drank... heavily.

Half a bottle of gray goose and 2 six packs later, I didn't know which way was up.

Before the end of the night the owner of the house kicked everybody out, and my sister(who can't drive a stick) thought it was wiser to drive it herself than let one of my friends(who can, quite well I might add).

Anyways, It was my fault for going overboard.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Hehe! you remind me of when I first got my red MX, like 6 years ago..... I've learned how to do so much, as far as fixing a few things on her myself... and as our fellow MXer stated above... invest in tools..you'll be glad you did.

You really picked a awesome car to have.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

jrors wrote:Hehe! you remind me of when I first got my red MX, like 6 years ago..... I've learned how to do so much, as far as fixing a few things on her myself... and as our fellow MXer stated above... invest in tools..you'll be glad you did.

You really picked a awesome car to have.

I'm glad I did all the research I did about the cars, I fell in love with them. The moment I first test drove one, I knew it was what I wanted :) It felt right, if that makes any sense.

I'm blessed to have quite a few tools, and I have access to tools that I'm scared to touch (Snapon s--- worth more than my life lol)

Yeah, the only car I hold in a higher spot in my heart is the 1970 Dodge Charger, but I doubt I'd have as much fun with one as I do with my mazda.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Appearance”